[Rapid PHP] Enhanced select color

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

[Rapid PHP] Enhanced select color

Postby Hans Meiser » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:39 pm

I like the "insert color" very much, it gives me many options to get a good colormanagement. I absolutely LOVE the fact, that in here, the document colors are displayed, so tedious seraching for hex values has an end.
However, I want to suggest to upgrade the colorpicker to be able picking colors outside of Rapid PHP. For me it makes no sense in picking a color inside of Rapid PHP, as very likely there are _no colors_ to pick that I would need.
So instead, like in phpDesigner, it would be cool to click on "Select ...", Rapid PHP minimize itself and one is able to pick any color available on the screen. Beeing a webpage, Photoshop, whatever. After picking, Rapid PHP restores itself and enters the value into the document at cursor position.
With that option, the "insert color" would be perfect. :)
Hans Meiser

Re: [Rapid PHP] Enhanced select color

Postby Aivars » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:21 am

The auto-minimizing would introduce a new problem - what if you want to pick a color from Rapid PHP window (e.g. Preview tab)? As a workaround you can avoid maximizing Rapid PHP window before picking the color and put the webpage you want to pick from next to Rapid PHP and make sure it's not covered.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby Hans Meiser » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:31 pm

The auto-minimizing would introduce a new problem - what if you want to pick a color from Rapid PHP window (e.g. Preview tab)?

After some time of using Rapid PHP now, I found those "preview" panel not very useful, at least _for me_ it's useless. Besides that they don't really work (maybe I just misconfigured it), I want to preview my websites on a "real" browser in real size. So Alt-Tab between the IDE and the browser is practically constant. :)
But to solve your argumented problem, I would set a checkbox in the options to tell if Rapid PHP should minimize itself when color picking. So everyone can choose what he wants.

As a workaround you can avoid maximizing Rapid PHP window before picking the color and put the webpage you want to pick from next to Rapid PHP and make sure it's not covered.

OK, since I work only in fullscreen and with dual monitors, I didn't thought of this possibility. Also, the fact that the colorpicker isn't available on the second monitor (it seems it only works on the primary monitor) supported this ignorance. And honestly, I really would not think about "windowing" and positioning Rapid PHP every time I want to pick a color. :)
So, in this case of your suggested workaround, half of the way would be already accomplished. Building an selectable option for automated minimizing (for those who want it ;) ) would be the other half.
Maybe this option finds it's way into Rapid PHP.
Hans Meiser

Postby Aivars » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:19 pm

I'll add this to requests and if you're not the only one we might add this. I think it would be much more useful to figure out why the color picker works only on the primary monitor and improve it to work on all, and it would avoid further increasing the visual complexity of the settings window.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby Hans Meiser » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:11 pm

[...] and it would avoid further increasing the visual complexity of the settings window.

I can imagine adding this checkbox in the select color dialog itself. No need to put it into the main preferences.
Hans Meiser

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests