settings in documents and settings/user/...

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

settings in documents and settings/user/...

Postby mata » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:56 pm

Please let WeBuilder doesn't save settings in documents and settings/user/application data/blumentals. Let it save its settings in webuilder folder please.
And what about saving config to ini file instead of registry?
mata

Postby chrisjlocke » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:38 pm

Any reason for these changes? Just to make migration to other boxes easier?
Whats wrong with the application data directory - its a 'traditional' area for configuration settings. In a way, it helps when upgrading the program - people delete all the files in the program directory to upgrade - keeping the settings file seperate prevents this problem.

There are advantages and disadvantages for both.
Again, the registry is better suited for storing settings, and allows more flexibility than ini files can handle, for example, multiple users on the same computer.

WeBuilder currently allows the export of its settings, etc, so this shouldn't really be a problem anymore.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby mata » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:46 pm

Any reason for these changes? Just to make migration to other boxes easier?
YES

Whats wrong with the application data directory - its a 'traditional' area for configuration settings. In a way, it helps when upgrading the program - people delete all the files in the program directory to upgrade - keeping the settings file seperate prevents this problem.

But when I need to reinstall my Windows I must search for settings in many folders. I like to have "everything in one place".
mata

Postby syrupcore » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:38 pm

I seem to move computers a lot. I do the tools> backup webuilder and copy the app data>blumentals folder. put it in a single zip and off I go. 3 minutes or something.

I wish all apps put all of their settings in the app data folder. Talk about ease of backup/restore! I don't want to try to figure out which photoshop file has my shortcuts! I just want to copy the relevant app data folder and put it in the same spot on my next machine. brainless.

1 vote to keep the blumentals line just as it is.
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby chrisjlocke » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:45 am

What annoys me is inconsistency. Take for example the Mozilla applications. I use Firefox and Thunderbird. Firefox stores its settings in application data\Mozilla\Firefox. Thunderbird is in Application Data\Thunderbird. Why not in Application Data\Mozilla\Thunderbird ? Grr. Makes my blood boil! I need a coffee to calm down... :x
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby syrupcore » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:03 pm

chrisjlocke wrote:What annoys me is inconsistency. Take for example the Mozilla applications. I use Firefox and Thunderbird. Firefox stores its settings in application data\Mozilla\Firefox. Thunderbird is in Application Data\Thunderbird. Why not in Application Data\Mozilla\Thunderbird ? Grr. Makes my blood boil! I need a coffee to calm down... :x

couldn't agree more - I've been irritated by that very combo. Of course, it is open source software... ;)

It would be cool if the 'export settings' and backing up the app data folder could be handled in one click. Like, if the webuilder.reg could be saved to the app data folder or if webuilder created a zip with both the reg file and the app data folder and knew what to do with it on another machine via 'import settings'.

manually is no big deal. just thinking out loud.
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby Mr_Fawlty » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:49 pm

It would be cool if the 'export settings' and backing up the app data folder could be handled in one click. Like, if the webuilder.reg could be saved to the app data folder or if webuilder created a zip with both the reg file and the app data folder and knew what to do with it on another machine via 'import settings'.

manually is no big deal. just thinking out loud.

I would like to second that - I'm am always changing my system and having an option to backup ALL my settings would really help.
"Don't Mention The War!
I Mentioned It Once, But I Think I Got Away With It...!"
Mr_Fawlty

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests