Autocomplete for class variables and functions

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Autocomplete for class variables and functions

Postby HyrumR » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:16 am

I've been using Rapid PHP 2006 and enjoying every minute of it. :) However, a few little things would make it absolutely rock!

1. Autocomplete for class variables, etc. For example if I type MyClass-> and it would be real cool if a list of class members, etc. would pop up.
2. If I type a function name that's part of a class outside of the class declaration, it still shows the tooltip for the values it expects. It would be nice if you could do something like the Delphi IDE does where it only shows in the autocomplete the values that would be valid in a certain situation. Here's a little code to demonstrate:
Code: Select all
class MyClass
{
   private $privateval;

function setVal($value)
   {
      $this->privateval = $value;
   }

function getVal()
   {
      return $this->privateval;
   }
}

//Now right here, if I type setVal() it shouldn't give me any tooltip, but it does.
setVal("foo");   //Invalid;

$foo = new MyClass;
$foo->setVal("This works like it should");
//Now, when I type $foo-> it should give me a list of only the methods that belong to that class.

And now, my greatest request of all....Make this work with the files that are included. Say I have a file called "classes.php" that I include in all my php files. It would absolutely rock to see function help, autocompletion, etc. for the classes and functions in includes.

Hopefully that makes some sense. Thanks for the great job you've done so far. :D
HyrumR

Postby Gatis » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:01 pm

Talking about the visibility of the class variables etc. .
This is not an easy one. :roll:
Because to implement this in the way you suggest, we actually would need to implement a compiler or at least more sophisticated text analysis than we have right now.
We might want to do this, but my guess (I am not here the boss :wink: ) is that it won't be our first priority.
If the first task will be achieved, then processing include files won't be a very big problem.
Gatis
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby HyrumR » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:13 am

Well, if you can just get the tooltips to show function parameters for includes, and list functions for includes over in the code explorer, that would keep me happy for a while. :)

I'm starting to understand and appreciate how much effort goes into making a good editor as I'm writing one myself for DarkBASIC Professional.
HyrumR

Postby billy0987 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:29 pm

Yes, this is a feature that would be greatly appreciated. I just started using RapidPHP and one of the first things I noticed (besides the fact that it's a billion times better than Dreamweaver for PHP) is that local functions autocomplete. This is a great feature, but since most functions are in includes I was rarely able to use it.

I have now taken to pasting the code from a main config/common include file into the top portion of a newly created page. I keep this in there while creating the page and then replace it as an include once I've got the bulk of the coding in place. This works well enough for me as I'm still learning and most of my programs really only need one file to contain all my functions.

Perhaps something could be developed along these lines that works a bit more elegantly.

Best Regards,
billy0987

Postby Rainman » Mon May 01, 2006 2:33 am

Same here...It would be great to see those loaded functions and classes.
Rainman

Postby syrupcore » Mon May 01, 2006 6:46 am

These are interesting feature requests. In some ways, I can see it making work go faster but in others, I see it slowing everything down. I've been suffering under the weight of IDEs with lots of compiling going on in the background (Visual Studio anyone?) and it sucks for what I do. With all due respect to the requesters, I would encourge less in this area instead of more but that's just me.

The blumentals line is doing a great job of straddling the line between 'simple/quick text editor' and 'feature rich IDE'. For most of us using it, I imagine that's exactly why we're using it - because it straddles that line so well. Too much application might kill the quick text editor part and that would be a shame. Webuilder loads in <20 seconds (more like 10s) It takes 2-4 minutes to just start visual studio and about as long to load Eclipse. When you just want to edit a couple of files, it's maddening. I hope blumentals will continue to refine it's already excellent core functionality instead of adding more and more features - particularly features that will create mass amounts of application overhead. Plugins are another story. ;)

2 cents,
Will
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby HyrumR » Mon May 01, 2006 6:34 pm

I agree, syrupcore. I wouldn't want a major performance sacrifice for these features, and I love how quick and easy Rapid PHP is to use. I've basically given up on Visual Studio and switched over to Delphi for all my Windows based stuff, mostly because of the performance issue. Even then I wish that Delphi 2006 was as snappy as Delphi 7, but it's still miles ahead of VS 2005 in terms of stability and speed.

All I really want is to see what the function parameters are for included functions, which I believe can be done without too much extra overhead. I agree that Blumentals is doing an excellent job of giving us a light-weight but powerful editor and I hope they continue down this line. :)
HyrumR

Postby Karlis » Wed May 03, 2006 2:30 pm

We need to check this out and see whether it would be possible at zero performance loss. I am sure we can do at least some of it.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests