Code Explorer & Code Workflow

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Code Explorer & Code Workflow

Postby 8ball » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:37 pm

Hey. Here are my thoughts on improving code workflow.

Form Tags:
I know by now, people have requested a new color for the <form></form> tags--that's just one minor bit to my request.

Code Explorer:
I like the idea of the code explorer -- I have dozens of php and asp projects with hundreds of variables littered all over the place and it lists most of them nicely while i'm on the page.

However, I'd like some remote listing done too, let me explain:

In the code explorer, I'd like another folder called "bookmarked <>." Take PHP for example. I want to be able to drag variables $a and $b into a folder in the code explorer called 'bookmarked,' also, be able to drag functions, classes, etc. into it.

It'll then sort them into their respective folders (functions/variables/etc)so that there's a listing of them available to me no matter what page i'm on.

Now this is just for personal reference.

OR

Another alternative is to somehow list the functions/variables/classes/etc. from all included documents. (This is my preferred approach)

Other Code Explorer Requests:
HTML
- Another folder to list FORM tags seperately

Server Side Languages
- Global Variables AND/OR bookmarked variables (drag a variable into the bookmarked variables folder and it'll list them and organize them by file)

Other Notes:
In addition to the above, also a Code Hint Fix: everytime I'm typing in an include/require function for php, the code hint is blank.

And lastly, function autocomplete that will complete functions i've defined (rather than only preset functions), even in included/required scripts.

---

That's it! Tell me what you think. I hope I've explained well enough.
8ball

And Code Collapse Cache

Postby 8ball » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:07 pm

Another suggestion is allow an option to cache code collapses so that when I return to a document, all my collapsed code are as they were when I last closed the program!
8ball

HTML Code Completion

Postby 8ball » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:41 pm

Another addition: for some reason it won't help me with code hints when I'm building meta tags or script imports like:

<meta>
or
<script>

it helps me with the attributes, but not the values, although it does help me with linking to stylehsheets.

Is it also possible to make the code hints appear AFTER the user puts in the quotation marks vs before?
8ball

Re: Code Explorer & Code Workflow

Postby chrisjlocke » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:53 pm

8ball wrote:In the code explorer, I'd like another folder called "bookmarked <>." Take PHP for example. I want to be able to drag variables $a and $b into a folder in the code explorer called 'bookmarked,' also, be able to drag functions, classes, etc. into it.

There is the code library and code snippets - between them, they do this already.
I can't see any benefit of dragging in variables from other projects - once you've declared a variable in a project, WeBuilder gets the hint and reminds you of it anyway.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Re: Code Explorer & Code Workflow

Postby 8ball » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:06 pm

chrisjlocke wrote:
8ball wrote:In the code explorer, I'd like another folder called "bookmarked <>." Take PHP for example. I want to be able to drag variables $a and $b into a folder in the code explorer called 'bookmarked,' also, be able to drag functions, classes, etc. into it.

There is the code library and code snippets - between them, they do this already.
I can't see any benefit of dragging in variables from other projects - once you've declared a variable in a project, WeBuilder gets the hint and reminds you of it anyway.

Hey Chris, it doesn't seem like it's the case for me. I'm using 2006's v7.2, and in the code explorer it lists all the variables you have in the page you are working on, and it autocompletes variables declared in the page you are working on, however, when I want to use $variable from page.php that I've included into the page it doesn't auto complete it or list it in the code explorer (even as an included variable).

Maybe, in the code explorer, I'd suggest a list that expands from each of the included/required files that show all the functions/classes/variables/etc. of that file.

And by bookmarked variables, I meant I want to be able to make my own (automatically updating) list of project-wide variables. So lets say I have a HUGE project with over 200 variables spread out through 20 pages that are interconnected with includes and requires, and I need to access on in another file. I don't mean a snippet that i'll be using time and time again in ALL my projects, I mean an automatic listing of my selected variables inside this project to keep track of as a personal reference.

I hope I'm being clear.

Any thoughts?
8ball

Postby chrisjlocke » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:12 pm

however, when I want to use $variable from page.php that I've included into the page it doesn't auto complete it or even list it in the code hints.

Aah, I see. No, it doesn't. Guess that could be useful... possibly...
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests