auto-close enhancements, background file uploading and more

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

auto-close enhancements, background file uploading and more

Postby jbjaaz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:08 pm

I played with rapidphp many months ago and was impressed, but wasnā€™t ready to drop my current editor to relearn a new one. Iā€™ve been using dreamweaver because thats what we had a work. Its nice, but bloated. Anywho, I finally broke down and bought rapidphp. Iā€™ve been using for a few weeks and so far am not regretting the switch at all. Its lightweight and I love how almost everything can have a shortcut key.

If I may throw in my 2 cents

Auto-close tag enhancement
Currently, when you type an html tag in rapidphp, for instance "<p>", as you type the last angle bracket, the tag auto-closes. So, typing "<p>" yields "<p></p>". Sometimes its useful, sometimes its annoying. Dreamweaver takes a nice approach to this. It auto closes tags with you type "</".

Example:
I would type "<p>This is <strong>cool</"
Next, "strong>" would be automatically entered
I would then type "!</"
finally, "p>" would be automatically entered

I find that a bit more intuitive.

Background Uploading
Another dreamweaver feature I miss is, when files are being uploaded it happens in the background so I can continue working. That would rock. Oh, also, Iā€™d love to be able to turn off the ā€œare you sure you want to overwriteā€¯ dialogue. I know I've seen both requests in the forums

auto-suggest for PHP superglobals
As requested elsewhere, itā€™d be great if auto-suggest would work for phpā€™s superglobals. For instance, typing ā€¯$_ā€¯ would display a drop-down with SERVER, GET, POST, etc. Then of course, once, for example, ā€¯$_SERVERā€¯ appears, auto-suggest could suggest the values for the $_SERVER variable (PHP_SELF, QUERY_STRING, etc).

sync local and remote server
As Iā€™m developing a site, pages change name, pages are deleted, etc, etc. Syncing would remove all those outdated files in one fell swoop.

assign shortcut keys to tools and editors defined in "Preferences > Tools"

code collapse with "Word Wrap" on (code collapse is seriously a developers best friend)

Thanks for a great product. Looking forward to the 2007 version, even if its many months away.
jbjaaz

Re: auto-close enhancements, background file uploading and m

Postby mwb1100 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:50 am

jbjaaz wrote:Auto-close tag enhancement
Currently, when you type an html tag in rapidphp, for instance "<p>", as you type the last angle bracket, the tag auto-closes. So, typing "<p>" yields "<p></p>". Sometimes its useful, sometimes its annoying. Dreamweaver takes a nice approach to this. It auto closes tags with you type "</".

+1 on this request.
mwb1100

Postby ricktu » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:33 am

Make that a +2 :)
Turning Point Development Pty Ltd
Turning Ideas into reality
ricktu

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests