program weight

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

program weight

Postby parcley » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:46 pm

as new features are added to rapidPHP, is one goal of the dev team to keep it as light as possible? i've used zend to debug some scripts and i really don't like watching a splash screen load some beefy program for 3.5 minutes... i really like the programs that jump to attention when called.

i guess this is a question about development philosophy...features vs. weight.
parcley

Postby chrisjlocke » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:45 pm

Features vs weight is always a consideration. However, as technology moves forward, improvements have to be made.
For most jobs, Notepad works fine, but the extra bells and whistles in WeBuilder help get that job done that little bit quicker.

There is nothing worse than a 'stagnant' program - it hasn't changed in years as it 'does all it needs to'. Likewise, people will only buy the latest version if it does exactly what they need.

I recently loaded Windows 3.1 on a virtual machine, and was amazed how quickly it starts up and shuts down - literally seconds, compared to todays OS's. However, there is no way I could go back to using Win 3.1 now I've used XP!!
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby Karlis » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:28 pm

Yes, the speed is a top priority. Of course with every version the program gets slower, however we are making sure that it is no more than 0.0x of a sec.

This is why we can not add all the suggested features. It is difficult to say NO to many suggestions, but we have to in order to keep the speed.

Of course the PCs develop, but so does the load of features, so we must keep the balance.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests