File compare utility

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

File compare utility

Postby mapleleaf » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:39 am

Would it be a useful feature for WeBuilder to have a 'file compare' utility?

Often we want to compare the files that are locally with files that are remote.

I have made a diagram of what I am trying to get across. It may be very well that I am way-off in left field BUT perhaps it is worthwhile as a point of discussion.

Oooops my screenshot got cut off on the right BUT I am sure it visually displays the thought(s).

mapleleaf
www.mirana.net
mapleleaf

Re: File compare utility

Postby Gatis » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:27 am

Hi,

There won't be built-in comparison feature for the nearest time to come.
However, we will try to add support for using some external tool for this purpose.

Gatis
Kind regards,
Gatis Avots
Gatis
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby tcarnevale » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:09 pm

For what it's worth, there are a number of free file compare utilities available, one of which is WinMerge http://winmerge.org/.
Tom Carnevale
tcarnevale

Postby voskat » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Any news on this?

I'm just trying out WeBuilder right now as a possible alternative to Dreamweaver... but the file comparison feature is pretty important to me!

Any external tool for this would be fine too, as long as it means I can run a comparison with only a click or two... :idea:
voskat

Postby Aivars » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:37 pm

You can. Install any diff tool e.g.WinMerge (http://winmerge.org/?lang=en), go to WeBuilder's menu Options -> Preferences -> External Tools -> Integration, specify path to the tool you installed, then you can compare files using menu Tools -> Compare With.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars

Postby voskat » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:48 pm

Aivars wrote:You can. Install any diff tool e.g.WinMerge (http://winmerge.org/?lang=en), go to WeBuilder's menu Options -> Preferences -> External Tools -> Integration, specify path to the tool you installed, then you can compare files using menu Tools -> Compare With.

Thanks for replying!

I just tried that, but what I need is to compare the local file with the remote file in my project. Is that doable?
voskat

Postby kfury77 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:14 am

Another suggestion - I use (and highly recommend) Beyond Compare by Scooter Software. It's excellent and I use it every day alongside WeBuilder. You can compare your local code to remote code on a FTP server.
http://www.scootersoftware.com/
kfury77

Postby Aivars » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:24 am

Open the local file and the remote file in the editor and use the same feature (Tools -> Compare With).
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests