Improved PHP Code Explorer

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Improved PHP Code Explorer

Postby kag » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:42 pm

I have already suggested this by email, but I just want to make this request "official"... and see if I'm the only one who would like it (I searched the forum and could not see anything like this).

When you load a PHP document and you look at the Code Explorer tab (in the PHP view), you can expand the "Variables" tree.

If you have $var five times in your document, it will appear five times in the variables tree (one entry for each line in appears in the code). I personally don't have any use for it in its current form. What would be extremely useful to me would be to have the list grouped by variable. Each variable would appear once in the tree and you would click to expand to see the different lines that the variable appears in the code.

This way, you would have a quick way to see all the lines where $var is used. When you have 30+ different variables, it's currently really hard to visually search the tree to find all occurences of a variable.

Instead of:
> Variables
--> $var (line 2)
--> $var (line 5)
--> $var (line 14)
--> $var (line 33)
--> $var (line 42)

The tree would look like:
> Variables
--> $var
----> Line 2
----> Line 5
----> Line 14
----> Line 33
----> Line 42
kag

Postby flz » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:51 pm

Excuse me for jumping in, but i wouldn't want to start a new thread as this may be related.
Maybe the code explorer could open branches dynamically. Something like, for example if you open the "classes" branch, the appearance could be like it is now, with the addition of member variables shown before the functions like suggested in another thread (the ones declared with "var" and maybe even the ones assigned with "$this->" inside the functions of the class).

If a function is selected, then right beneath the function name there could appear:
- the arguments handed over to the function, with their default values if present (always)

if "list variables" is activated, additionally:
- class member variables used inside the function
- variables declared global inside the function (with a different icon)
- other variables used in this function in order of appearance with each variable listed only once

If one of the variables is selected, the positions of this variable appear beneath the variable, the code jumps to the first appearance and all appearances are highlighted.
Only the valid scope for the given context should show up, for example:
If you select a class member variable beneath the class name (class wide scope), all appearances in all of the functions are shown, wheras if you select a variable beneath the function name, only the appearances inside this function are shown.

This is just an idea how things could possibly look like, but in general i think the scope of a variable should somehow be reflected in code explorer to make "list variables" more useful.
flz

Re: Improved PHP Code Explorer

Postby Peper » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:12 pm

kag wrote:The tree would look like:
> Variables
--> $var
----> Line 2
----> Line 5
----> Line 14
----> Line 33
----> Line 42

One vote, assuming it would be possible to collapse $var and hide the line numbers.
Peper

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests