Tab closing

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Tab closing

Postby entropie » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:32 am

A simple and interesting feature, may be not too complex to implement, would be to have "close icon" on each tab in order to close the associated file... Which is now the standard way (or at least one of them) to close a file proposed in web browsers.

Thank you.

E.
entropie

Re: Tab closing

Postby Aivars » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:23 pm

That would make tabs wider though and create chances of accidentally closing the tab while switching to it. Unlike browser tabs, you need to switch between documents in IDE constantly.
The most convenient way to close a tab with mouse is to middle-click it.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby willoworks » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:51 pm

I'd have to second that request. Don't care about wider tabs but a little x like you have on the menus would make it quicker to close the window.
willoworks

Postby Aivars » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:56 pm

How is middle click slower?
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby entropie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:49 am

Middle clicking anywhere on the tab is faster than left click on a small cross on a tab... Yes, for sure.
But can be slower for my brain, because not an "ergonomic standard" (at least at the beginning... But I'm sure after 10 mins, our brain will have learnt this shortcut !)

;-)
entropie

Postby Tecktron » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:46 am

+1 more this this option.
There is no middle button on my laptop and middle clicking on my desktop doesn't seem to work for me. I have to right click and select close every time. Very annoying.
On my desktop, might be Logitech software from blocking it, even though it is set to middle click, it doesn't work.

How about an option to turn the close icons on or off instead? That way we can choose.
Personally I am use to seeing the icons in every other app I use so it's more of what I'm use to and no big deal.
The space is such a minimal cost and I just want to point out again that my laptop has no middle button.

Thanks.
Tecktron

Postby t8xt » Thu May 02, 2013 8:05 am

I vote for the close "x" icon on the tab but make the setting optional in the preferences.

Thanks
t8xt

Postby FrankC » Fri May 31, 2013 3:25 am

+1 for this request from me as well. I think we are perfectly able to maneuver the pointer around the x to avoid accidental closing.
FrankC

Postby tibo77 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:38 pm

+1, i would like to
tibo77

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests