WeBuilder: Open file to folder where current file is located

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

WeBuilder: Open file to folder where current file is located

Postby Masino Sinaga » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi,

In Notepad++, when I am working with the current file and then I want to open a file, then it will automatically point to the directory where the current/selected file is located. In other words, if I want to open the file which is located in the certain folder I want, then I will have to make sure that the latest file I selected in the current active tab is the file which is located under that directory I want.

Let me give you an example regarding this:
1. Run WeBuilder application
2. Open "customers.php" file in "C:\Dir1"
3. Open "countries.php" file in "C:\Dir2"
4. Open "orders.php" file in "C:\Dir3"
5. Currently, the latest selected file is: "C:\Dir3\orders.php".
6. I want to open another file in "C:\Dir2", then I will have to select "countries.php" tab
7. When click on "File" -> "Open" menu, then it should point me to the "C:\Dir2" directory, so I could open another file(s) from "C:\Dir2" directory. Unfortunately, WeBuilder has not implemented this feature.

I am really sure, that it is very helpful for developers who want to open the files which are located on the certain folder based on the latest selected/active file is located.

So, please... add this feature in WeBuilder. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Masino Sinaga
Masino Sinaga

Re: WeBuilder: Open file to folder where current file is loc

Postby Karlis » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Save As does this, because it makes sense there, however of Open it is a bit controversial.

What if I want to look at customers.php from Dir1 and at the same time open yet another file from the last-used folder? What if I am used to the last-used folder concept and rely on it beause it is how most apps work? If we change this, we will receive requests like this, because a lot (most) of users are used to the strong last-opened-folder concept. And what if another user doesn't figure out this "smart" operation and considers this behavior as "random"? These are questions that bother me.

Your idea IS cool, and I DO like it, however for now I have to leave this discussion open to collect more opinions. If we receive a bunch of argumented requests from many users, we may consider taking an action, but at the present time we will take no action for fear of breaking consistency and historic behavior and causing a lot of sad users who liked the current behavior.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Masino Sinaga » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:29 am

Hi Karlis,

Thank you so much for your quick response. I really really appreciate it. 8)

Karlis wrote:What if I want to look at customers.php from Dir1 and at the same time open yet another file from the last-used folder? What if I am used to the last-used folder concept and rely on it beause it is how most apps work? If we change this, we will receive requests like this, because a lot (most) of users are used to the strong last-opened-folder concept. And what if another user doesn't figure out this "smart" operation and considers this behavior as "random"? These are questions that bother me.

Roger that. :wink:

In order to answer your questions above, then let me propose the scenario as follows to accomodate the existing condition and also the new feature: :idea:

1. You may add a new setting item regarding this new feature so that we, as the WeBuilder users, are able to either disable or enable it under the following menu: Options -> Preferences... -> Files -> General.

For example, let's name the new setting as When open a file: which has two options:

- Open file from the latest accessed directory, <-- this is the default option
or:
- Open file from the directory of the latest accessed/active file <-- this is the new feature which we will implement in WeBuilder

2. To use the existing condition, then let's make Open file from the latest accessed directory as the default option. This will answer the questions as you mentioned above.

3. So, for those who want to use or enable the new feature, they should simply choose Open file from the directory of the latest accessed file option. If, for somehow, there is no file is active/opened, then the first option above will be used. In other words, the second option will only be used whenever there is at least one file is currently opened/active.

Karlis wrote:Your idea IS cool, and I DO like it, however for now I have to leave this discussion open to collect more opinions. If we receive a bunch of argumented requests from many users, we may consider taking an action, but at the present time we will take no action for fear of breaking consistency and historic behavior and causing a lot of sad users who liked the current behavior.

Yes, and thank you. Hopefully, my proposal/opinion above will be also helpful for you to implement it. Again, thank you for your kindly response.

Sincerely,
Masino Sinaga
Masino Sinaga

Postby Masino Sinaga » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:33 am

@Aivars,

Could you please add this to your list? I know this is very easy for you to implement it, but for me, this will help us a lot to work quickly with many files from different folders. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Masino Sinaga
Masino Sinaga

Postby Aivars » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:42 am

Ok, I will, but note that when the change control decides which features to implement for the next version, the critical and most requested features are picked first. This however has only been requested by you so far, so let's hope others will want this feature, too.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby Masino Sinaga » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:00 am

Great. Thanks so much for your kindly response. 8)

Sincerely,
Masino Sinaga
Masino Sinaga

Postby G-Sun » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:24 pm

I'd love to see a list of recently used folders, with paths-column as an option.
www.g-sun.no/en/
G-Sun

Postby Masino Sinaga » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:01 am

I received your marketing email about the new release of WeBuilder 2016.

Unfortunately, after evaluating this latest version, my feature that I proposed about three years ago has not be implemented, yet. So sad to see this condition. :(

Sorry, I won't upgrade my WeBuilder until this feature request is added. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Masino Sinaga
Masino Sinaga

Postby Aivars » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:42 am

Sorry about that. We are very careful about changing things that existing customers could be relying on.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests