Smarter word wrap - like in Notepad++

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Smarter word wrap - like in Notepad++

Postby dedun » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:45 pm

dedun

Re: Smarter word wrap - like in Notepad++

Postby Aivars » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:59 pm

I'll add the suggestion to the list.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby G-Sun » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:46 pm

+1
www.g-sun.no/en/
G-Sun

Postby nikkil » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Looks very nice. Count me in here please. I think it would save us a lot of time when using this.
nikkil

Postby FrankC » Fri May 31, 2013 12:44 pm

+1 from me, too. And while you're at at, Aivars, may I suggest another code formatting feature? Which is to make WeBuilder line up the contents of the elements with the opening tags, like Notepad++ does, too: WeBuilder, Notepad++.

I'd say it looks very neat and very professional.

(BTW: I wanted to add the images in the normal phpBB way, using the Img button, but that doesn't work? I get the word 'image', but no actual image?)
FrankC

Postby FrankC » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:52 pm

Since it has been more than a year that this request was posted, and everyone would benefit from it, regardless of the coding language, I hope folks don't mind that I bump it. The images should make clear what I mean (WeBuilder and Notepad++, respectively). It concerns the outlining of the code, not the font type.

Image Image
FrankC

Postby FrankC » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:37 pm

I must say I am quite disappointed to see that the 'Align selection' plugin does not do what is depicted in my above post. The vertical dotted lines, which are now included in WB 2015, is not what I meant. I meant the vertical outlining of text within tags.

Was it really that difficult to make such a plugin? In fact, the announcement that WeBuilder 2015 would come with the 'Align selection' plugin was the main reason for me to upgrade.
FrankC

Postby IceTater » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:51 pm

+1 for more readable word wrap, indent successive continuation lines by 1 or 2 under the initial line that is wrapped.
IceTater

Postby chikega » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:24 am

+ 1 for Same-level alignment wrap indentation.

Webuilder 2016 is awesome, except for the word wrap feature. It throws everything to the left margin which makes for messy looking code in my humble opinion.

The following editors, that I have tested, allow same-level alignment wrap indentation:

Notepad++
Komodo Edit 9
Ultraedit
Atom
Brackets
Visual Studio Code
Espresso
Sublime Text
Coda 2
BBedit (TextWrangler)

The following editors do not seem to have this option:
Webuilder 2016 :(
Netbeans IDE 8.1
Coffee Cup HTML Editor
Chocolat
chikega

Postby FrankC » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:09 am

Another year has passed, but still this feature has not been realized. (I'm using WB 2016 in the meantime, but cannot alter my signature anymore.) I would very much appreciate a(nother) reply by one of the WB folks as to the status of it. Especially because the above post makes clear that it shouldn't be rocket science, looking at how many editors do have this feature. And it has gotten quite a few +1s.

Thanks in advance.
FrankC

Postby Aivars » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:31 am

A feature like this will never be added mid-version, it changes way too much behavior both internally and from user-perspective. The status is: we have not decided yet whether we will add it or not in the next major version, although personally I am in favor of it and will speak for it.
Aivars

Postby FrankC » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanks, too, for this reply, much appreciated. And I understand that we will have to wait for the next major version. When is that scheduled to be released? (Does WB have a certain month in which major upgrades are released?)
FrankC

Postby FrankC » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:01 pm

Disappointingly, the 2018 version also does not have the feature. While a previous response in this thread shows that WB is one of the exceptions. Most other editors do have it, so seemingly it shouldn't be very difficult. What's the story?
FrankC

Postby Aivars » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:01 pm

Sorry, but it is very difficult in our case due to the base editor that we have built everything on. We still plan to tackle this at some point but I know for sure that it will be very difficult and take a long time, so for this version we decided to work on more features and making sure things like php, css definitions, formatters, checkers, frameworks and so on are up to date.
Aivars

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests