[Rapid PHP] expanded highlight feature

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

[Rapid PHP] expanded highlight feature

Postby Hans Meiser » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi!

I'm currently a phpDesigner User and I'm testing Rapid PHP and so far, there are more neat features in this nice little IDE so I'm considering to buy it. Only one thing has come to my attention that I'm very used to: the highlight.
I want to suggest the highlight abilities from phpDesigner for Rapid PHP. And that is the live highlighting of same characters in an document as them being selected and not just single words.

Example:
Code: Select all
<script type = "text/javascript" src = "https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script type = "text/javascript" src = "https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.8.23/jquery-ui.min.js"></script>

If one double-clicks i.e. "script", then "script" on beginning and on end will be highlighted. Double-clicking "type" highlights "type". That's the actual behaviour.
What I'm missing is the highlighting of same characters as I'm selection it. So if I start to left-click drag select the first line (<script type ...) it should highlight the same characters in the next line. Till the point, where it no more matches.
In short: if I left-click drag and select "<script type = "text/javascript" src = "https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery" in the first line, it should highlight the same "<script type = "text/javascript" src = "https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery" in the second line. Adding now the "/" in the first line would remove the highlight from the second line, as there is no "/" but an "u".

I find this is incredible helpful finding typos in very long paths/URLs and such, or find repetitive blocks in an document.
So, instead of activating the highlight just by double-click on a word, it would much more useful to activate it also on selecting.

And now I'm hoping that this is possible. If so, I'm buying straight away. :D
Hans Meiser

Re: [Rapid PHP] expanded highlight feature

Postby Aivars » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:53 am

As far as I know this is on purpose because if you select, let's say "a", your whole document would look like a Christmas decoration because of so many highlighted "a" and it was decided that highlighting the whole words would be much more useful. You probably are not the first one to ask this though, so I'll find the corresponding suggestion in feature requests and +1 it.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Re: [Rapid PHP] expanded highlight feature

Postby Hans Meiser » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks for the respond.
I'm aware of the look of a "single character select" but in production workflow, it's not really an issue, because almost noone would mark only a single character (except one has a certain reason to do just that :)).
And of course the whole words marking is useful, that's out of question. I'm just saying, that the additional ability to select individual characters and find the same characters highlighted in the document, is as same as useful. It would be great to see this in RapidPHP, so thanks for the +1.
Hans Meiser

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests