Framework: Bootstrap

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Framework: Bootstrap

Postby kfury77 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Bootstrap is the most popular front-end HTML/CSS framework. http://getbootstrap.com/
It's the most popular project on Github.com.

I'd really love if there was a plugin/framework add-on for WeBuilder which would offer auto-complete class names from the Bootstrap CSS and I'm sure other WeBuilder customers would appreciate it too.

Could you consider adding this as either a plugin or a framework from Options > Frameworks?
kfury77

Re: Framework: Bootstrap

Postby Aivars » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:44 pm

Alright, I'll add it to suggestions list, although I'm wondering how beneficial this would be considering we're only talking about class names.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby kfury77 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi Aivars. Thanks for the reply. If it would be possible for you to start the plugin and just add a single class for now, I'd be very happy to take it over and add all the other classes. I'd be able to maintain the plugin and make it available for all to use.

I'd also be happy to then duplicate it and create one for jQuery Mobile and other popular frameworks.
kfury77

Postby Aivars » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:42 pm

I looked at the framework support we have right now and the problem is that currently frameworks can support things like PHP, JavaScript functions but not class names, i.e. when the underlying system was written nobody assumed this would be needed someday. So until CSS support is added to frameworking, this will have to wait.
Btw, I'm wondering if adding bootstrap folder to Library Path of the project would do the same thing?
Aivars

Postby kfury77 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:51 pm

I noticed on the 'What's New in WeBuilder 2016' page that 'Developers can now write plugins that alter auto complete dropdown lists'

Does this mean it should be simple to create a plugin to add WeBuilder CSS classes? I'd really love to see this. Would it be possible for someone to create a basic one with a single class name and then I would happily add all the others. (I don't know how to create a plugin that does that from scratch)

Once complete we could possibly make it available as a free plugin from the 'Plugin Catalog'.
kfury77

Postby Aivars » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:12 pm

It might be possible but let's wait for the upgrade process to settle down a bit before I can start consider writing new plugins.
Aivars

Postby thwbn » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:01 am

+1 bootstrap support / plug in

And if you do so - please keep in mind that they are on the way to finish bootstrap 4!
thwbn

Postby kfury77 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:11 pm

@thwbn - yes, when Aivars helps me create the Bootstrap 3 plugin I'll use the template to create a Bootstrap 4 one and maybe others such as Material Design Lite by Google.
kfury77

Postby PeterjmTim » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:00 pm

+1 for this request
PeterjmTim

Postby richinri » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:18 am

As a LONG time user of Webuilder the only reason I haven't upgraded is because every site these days has to be fully responsive. This means fully integrated Bootstrap 4 (at this point.) You can't claim to have a website builder today without it. Whether Webuilder can, in fact, be altered to make websites responsive by default remains to be seen. I hope so.

Richard
Richard
richinri

Postby pmk65 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:00 pm

richinri wrote:You can't claim to have a website builder today without it.

''Bootstrap has nothing to do with the editor. It's just a 3rd-party library you can use if you are too lazy to code your own CSS framework. ;)
There's several other frameworks available, so why should WeBuilder target Bootstrap specifically?

Personally I don't much like Bootstrap as It is bloated, and contains a lot of features I rarely use.
It's good for writing things like Wordpress Themes, where the end user usually don't have the skills to modify code.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby richinri » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Anyone building a website today that doesn't realize it has to be fully responsive on all devices along with EVERYTHING on the website also being fully responsive is either naive or out of date. Webuilder has plenty of frameworks that are bloated and, to my knowledge, none of them have the multitude of sites that bootstrap does. I guarantee you Webuilder, which as I said I have been a fan of for years, has seen a major drop in sales due to this one factor. If they don't see that, this program is coming to it's end. Make Webuilder able to make fully responsive sites, they will remain in the game. I am not being critical, I know the realities of today's web programming.
Richard
richinri

Postby pmk65 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:50 pm

richinri wrote: Webuilder has plenty of frameworks that are bloated and, to my knowledge, none of them have the multitude of sites that bootstrap does.

Which frameworks? My Webuilder 2016 has no build'in framework support?

Again. Bootstrap is NOT a requirement for making responsive designs.
There's several other CSS/JS frameworks like: Foundation 3, Kube, Skeleton, Gumby etc. (You can also make your own)

Framework support should NEVER be part of the editor, but something provided by a plugin. Then it's up to the user which framework should be supported.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby richinri » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Well, Webuilder's bottom line and income statements along with renewals will and, I am sure, is telling the real story here. I hope they can transition. It is called a web BUILDER after all. I know of no web builder that doesn't also allow editing capabilities. Let me ask, how many websites have you built and are they fully responsive.
Richard
richinri

Postby pmk65 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:37 am

richinri wrote:Let me ask, how many websites have you built and are they fully responsive.

100+, I have lost track of how many sites I have made. :D
Several of them are responsive. Some using Bootstrap, Kube and other framework and some build using custom frameworks.

When WeBuilder gets plugin support for class names, I'll make a framework plugin.
pmk65

Next

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests