Bookmarks revisited: bug report and feature request

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Bookmarks revisited: bug report and feature request

Postby FrankC » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:26 pm

I have come to like the Bookmarks feature a lot. Especially since I included the functions in my (right-click) context menu. It saves a lot of scrolling. But there is still a lot of room for improvement, even in WB 2015:

• The bug of the disappearing bookmarks after a Replace All does not seem to have been solved. This counts for both the red and light blue bookmarks.
  • I'd think it would be a great improvement if one could assign one's own numbers to the light blue bookmarks when creating them. The way I sometimes have to work my way through problems results in a numbering from top to bottom of the page of 4, 0, 2, 1, 3.
  • It would also be an improvement that if one created a bookmark and goes to it, that bookmark is positioned at the top of the viewport. Currently, if one goes to a bookmark that is below the cursor position, the page goes down only to the bookmark. So the bookmark is at the bottom of the viewport. Of course, an option to manage this behavior would do just as well.
FrankC

Re: Bookmarks revisited: bug report and feature request

Postby pmk65 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:28 pm

If your problem in question #2 is the order of the bookmarks, then you should be able to write a plugin that rearranges the bookmarks.

The bookmark positions are stored in the file "\%APPDATA%\Blumentals\WeBuilder\settings\memory.ini"
It consists of "sections" for each file, and each "section" contains various config settings.
Bookmarks are stored like this:

Bookmark0: 345
Bookmark1: 123
Bookmark2: 77

The plugin API has functions to read/write .INI files.

Turned out it was pretty easy to make, so here's a plugin to sort the bookmarks. :)
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6702

Another "annoying" thing about bookmarks, is their non-descript names.

In UltraEdit bookmarks works in a similar way as in WeBuilder.
But it has one feature that WeBuilder misses: The ability to set custom labels on bookmarks.
That way you can get some more meaningful titles than "bookmark0", "bookmark1" etc.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby FrankC » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:22 am

That is quite an improvement, even though there is no automatic order-sorting. Thanks, bro! :-)

And yes, it would even be better if one could assign descriptive values to the bookmarks. I hope the competition's example will inspire the WB devs to revise the WB bookmarks system. As I said earlier, this concerns every programming language, so everyone will benefit.
FrankC

Postby pmk65 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:03 am

FrankC wrote:That is quite an improvement, even though there is no automatic order-sorting.

Im not sure I understand what you mean by ' automatic order-sorting', but you could easily change the plugin so it triggers on document close events.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby FrankC » Sun May 06, 2018 2:03 pm

@pmk65 -- I see that I never replied to your last remark about the automatic sorting. By that I simply mean an automatic execution of your function if a bookmark is added or deleted.

Too bad that the WB devs have not created the other function you mentioned, of giving the bookmarks custom names. (Then the automatic sorting would not be needed or useful anymore.)

And I see that the bug of the disappearing bookmarks when doing a Replace All of an unrelated fragment has still not been fixed? (This is a question for the WB devs as well.)
FrankC

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests