Dynamic syntax highlighting

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Dynamic syntax highlighting

Postby entropie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:10 am

Hello,

A very nice feature would be to have a dynamic syntax highlighting.

For instance, in opened a PHP file, which contains some PHP code, but also some HTML code. When my cursor is "inside" the PHP code (i.e. between the <?php ... ?> beacons), the PHP syntax colors are activated, and all the HTML code becomes monochrome (gray, black, or whatever... a customized color for disabled code). When my cursor is "outside" the PHP code (i.e. not between the <?php ... ?> beacons), the HTML syntax colors are activated, and all the PHP code becomes monochrome.

That would be very nice, and convenient to know in an eye glance in which "code context" I am.
And of course, it can be only an option in "Colors" section, which could be disabled.

Thank you.
E.
entropie

Re: Dynamic syntax highlighting

Postby Aivars » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:29 am

This might be very challenging technically. I'll add it to the suggestions list but unless many users start demanding this feature it won't be high priority because of how difficult it would be to add.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby entropie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:01 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your fast answer !
In fact, a friend of mine is using another editor (phpDesigner 8), which provides this feature. I didn't knew it before, and I found that it was an interesting way to segregate easily embedded codes in a file.

But of course, I perfectly understand that it may be challenging to develop this feature, and probably not a top priority one since people may not explicitly require it (because they probably even don't know it). But since WeBuilder already changes dynamically the language tab in the "Code explorer" pane, according the position of the cursor, I though the most difficult (i.e. detecting the current language) was already done...

Anyway... Thank you for developing "WeBuilder", which is very useful, convenient and easy to use ! :-)

Best regards,
E.
entropie

Postby PeterjmTim » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:50 pm

It is a feature I would like to see too. It would be very helpful to be able to see properly highlighted HTML inside PHP tags.
PeterjmTim

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests