Rapid PHP: File Viewer updates annoying

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Rapid PHP: File Viewer updates annoying

Postby TheGreatCornh0lio » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:07 pm

The automatic updates of the file viewer are annoying because i have my files on a shared network drive and there are directories with a lot of files. Everytime i ALT+Tab to the browser and then switch back to RPHP, Rapid PHP is giving me a "busy" cursor for about two seconds. Unfortunately this happens about 1,5 seconds after the ALT-Tab so i begin to type and then RPHP freezes for updating the project/file view. Also, after the first update it freezes again for updating.

This might not be noticable on local file systems, on remote one's it is.

Please consider providing a way to disable the automatic updates and do it manually via F5 or some key.

Another fix would be to start the file explorer in a seperate thread. Then, so i think, it would not be noticeable due to HT. Also it would not affect idle the state of the main process (correct me if i'm wrong).

PS: I tried to switch off the "notify about externaly modified files" but this didnt help.

Thank you!
TheGreatCornh0lio

Postby TheGreatCornh0lio » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:32 pm

Yet more annoying: when you press any of the arrow keys or the space key while the file viewer update is in progress, you are sticked to the file explorer window because the update changes the focus to the file explorer window.

So if you type and press space while the update is in progress, focus doesnt get back to editor window after the update is done. Also if you type any char like "a" or "b", the first file which begins with "a" or "b" is selected in the file explorer and you have to manually switch back to the editor window using mouse.

Requesting a hotfix!!!

Thanks!
TheGreatCornh0lio

Postby TheGreatCornh0lio » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:55 pm

Also, not the whole tree should be updated when pressing F5 but only the selected node and its child nodes.

If the whole tree is being updated it takes way longer than just updating the current node and its childs (if one wants to update the whole tree he might select the root node and press F5).

Updating the whole tree is hindering especially if you are browsing the tree (using the scroll bar or the mousewheel). The update resets the index of the scroll bar to the currently selected file. So if you're scrolling down and the update occurs you have to scroll down again.

Thanks!
TheGreatCornh0lio

Postby Karlis » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:52 pm

Thank you for your post! I have moved your topic to Feature Suggestions forum, because it is more appropriate.

I guess, auto updates can be disabled as an option. But we need to make sure this is possible as the File Explorer code is shipped by a third party so we are limited to what their developers allow us to do.

I will add your request to wishlist and hopefully it will become available in the next version.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests