RAPID - Close All Files on Project Switch

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

RAPID - Close All Files on Project Switch

Postby Will Fastie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:44 pm

When switching projects in the file explorer, automatically close all open files.

There must be some reason this doesn't happen now. I can't see it; I'd love to know if I'm missing something.
Will
WebDesignBuild.biz, Fastie.com
Will Fastie

Re: RAPID - Close All Files on Project Switch

Postby pmk65 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:17 am

Have you tried the Project Manager plugin by dave?

dave wrote:Features:
a) Seamlessly (and now automatically/prompted/manually) save a list of open files for the currently selected project. (it will ignore open files from other projects)
b) Seamlessly (and now automatically/prompted/manually) open a previously saved list of files for the currently selected project.
c) Close all files other than those from the currently selected project. (you will be prompted for unsaved files)
d) (c) followed by (b) (in one action)
e) View, and add/delete to the list of previously saved list of files for the currently selected project.
e) View, and add/delete to the list of previously saved list of files for other previously saved projects.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby Will Fastie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.
Will
Will Fastie

Postby Will Fastie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:50 pm

The Project Manager looks like more steps to me. I just want to eliminate one step.

When changing projects now and when I happen to have several files open, I first do File | Close All followed by switching the project in the file explorer. All I'm trying to do is eliminate the first step.

If Rapid happens to remember the files that were open and restores them when the project is next opened, that sounds good.
Will
Will Fastie

Postby pmk65 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:35 pm

Maybe you should take a look at the plugin API?
And maybe use the Project Manager as reference and see how it closes project files..
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby Will Fastie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:43 pm

pmk65 wrote:Maybe you should take a look at the plugin API?

Or maybe not...

And maybe use the Project Manager as reference and see how it closes project files..

I've got nothing against plug-ins and it is nice that Rapid et. al. support an extension mechanism. I appreciate the extensive work you have done in this area. If I had any interest in learning how to build plug-ins, your suggestion that I deconstruct the Project Manager would be an excellent one.

I expect (and prefer) my IDE to have good project support built in. I think what is there now is close but missing a few tiny things, thus my suggestion. I think beefing up project management support is an especially good idea for a product that does not allow multiple instances. I'm betting that more comprehensive project management is much easier to implement than multiple instances.
Will
Will Fastie

Postby pmk65 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Will Fastie wrote:I've got nothing against plug-ins and it is nice that Rapid et. al. support an extension mechanism.

Some plugins can be extremely simple, and doesn't need much scripting. But can 'fix' missing features like the one you want.
I don't use Projects much myself, so Im not sure its what you want. But I just made a small plugin that closes all open Documents when you switch to a Project. :)

Try it and see if it fits your needs. ;)
Close All Files on Project Switch.zip
Close All Files on Project Switch
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
pmk65

Postby Will Fastie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:38 pm

pmk65 wrote:But I just made a small plugin that closes all open Documents when you switch to a Project.

I'm impressed with your speed. And you've got my attention. I'll take a look.
Will
Will Fastie

Postby Will Fastie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:01 pm

pmk65 wrote:Some plugins can be extremely simple, ...

It does look simple. It's clear you are very skilled at this.

On the other hand, it probably would have taken me three days to figure out how to do it, especially because the API documentation is a bit dated. For example, the docs do not mention project_before_select or any other project-related signals. I would have been beating my head on the wall trying to figure out how to trigger.

Thanks for taking the time (apparently just seconds for you) to demonstrate the capability.

P.S. I still hope for improved project management in Rapid.
Will
Will Fastie

Postby pmk65 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:20 pm

Will Fastie wrote:On the other hand, it probably would have taken me three days to figure out how to do it, especially because the API documentation is a bit dated. For example, the docs do not mention project_before_select or any other project-related signals. I would have been beating my head on the wall trying to figure out how to trigger.

I know. Some of the missing documentation can be found in the main Plugin thread: http://forums.blumentals.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5969&start=15 (I hope Blumentals get the time to update the documentation before the next release)

And I copied most of the code, like the signals from the Project Manager plugin. ;)
pmk65

Postby Will Fastie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:37 pm

The thing that interested me the most about your quick demo is that is more of an "extension" than a "plug-in."

I'll try to find some time to read the Project Manager plug-in to see what I can learn, just as you want. I'm not promising.

The following are still true:
  • I prefer built-in solutions to plugins, primarily because they are more likely to be future-proof.
  • Some improvements to Rapid's project management features are needed.
Will
Will Fastie

Postby pmk65 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:35 pm

Thanks to Will Fastie, this demo plugin "turned into" a new complete plugin "Project Workspace"

Note: The two plugins are NOT compatible as the both does similar things when switching projects!
pmk65

Postby Will Fastie » Thu May 17, 2018 6:40 pm

pmk65 wrote:Thanks to Will Fastie, ...

Very nice of pmk65 to offer credit but I didn't write the plugin, he did. I was glad to test, but that's all I did.

I think this is a very useful plugin, a definite enhancement to Rapid PHP.
Will
Will Fastie

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests