Tab spaces

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Tab spaces

Postby Underdog » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:25 pm

As far as I can tell, the tab key always tabs over 8 spaces, with all of the Editor preferences checked on, except Smart Tabs. What if the tab key paid attention to the Block Indent setting, and tabbed that many spaces over? Eight-space character jumps are a bit much, especially when you look at deep block levels of coding. What if we could set it to 2, 3, or 4? The jump would be encoded as a tab so that Notepad would still jump far, but HTMLPad would interpret all tabs as being the number of spaces we wanted.
Underdog

Postby Negatron » Sun May 09, 2004 2:33 pm

I must agree, eight spaces is too much.
I am getting tired typing 4 spaces every time I need to indent, but if I didn't, some of my PHP code would be off-screen.

Of course viewing it in something like Notepad can really mess up the layout.

I did have other ideas, which I forgot, but this is the one which is stopping HTMLPad being the best editor around. I will be back when I remember them.
Negatron

Postby Karlis » Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:35 pm

This will be added in the next update. Please hang on, version 5.1 is being tested right now. :wink:
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Fred » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:38 pm

I'm using 5.3.2.43 of Rapid PHP 2004 and it's still indenting 4 spaces _EVERYTIME_, so if I press tab it will add 4 spaces. I would like it to add spaces till the next tab, almost like Smart Tabs, but with predefined tabs position.

An exemple could be like this:

If I set tab spaces to 4, and the cursor is 3 spaces behind the "next" defined tab (add 3 spaces) so the next tab will add 4 tabs and so on.

If I'm at 1 space behind the next defined tab it'd add 1 space, etc.

The smart tab just doesn't seems to work out well with line like this:

Code: Select all
if ( somecondition )
{
[press tab will add one space, should go to the next ident]
}

tnx
Fred

Postby Karlis » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:44 pm

Smart tab does not work with real TAB characters.

To use tabs, in the Preferences select options Use TAB for indenting and Convert tabs to spaces. Deselect Smart tabs.

Tab size defines the size of TAB width (when tabs active) or number of spaces inserted (when spaces active).
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests