Feature Requests: Snippet Comments and Menu indicators

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Feature Requests: Snippet Comments and Menu indicators

Postby pmk65 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:53 pm

I know Ihave requested this before. But I'll figured I'll give it another try, since Im still missing these features :D

1) Ability to add Comments/HowTo instructions to snippets in the snippet library. So if you hold down Shift and click on a snippet (or use context menu), you get the comment displayed. (Currently you will have to rely on comment blocks placed inside the snippet. And you will either have to edit the snippet or insert it into the code in order to see the comment.)

2) Active/Inactive/Disabled states for plugin menu items.
Example: In my Word Wrap/Block Select Mode Toggle plugin, I replace the original "Block Select Mode", "Word Wrap", "Code Collapse for Section" & "Code Collapse for Code" menu items.
I do this because I find the way WeBuilder originally handles this, very cumbersome. (You first have to disable one option and then turn on the next. My plugin does this with a single click) BUT.. My menuicons stays the same no matter what state they are in, so I don't get any indication of what mode is active.

See the video capture below. I have placed my plugin menuitems (they have a + sign at the end) below the original menuitems.

Notice how the original menuitems gets an indication of selected or not (either highlighted icon or a checkmark if no icon)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Re: Feature Requests: Snippet Comments and Menu indicators

Postby Aivars » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:04 pm

(1) is in the suggestions list, but I can't really figure out the use case. Could you help me with some examples why these notes/comments would help? Wouldn't it be more helpful to see the snippet itself?

(2) I'll add it to list. I'm wondering though if it can't be done using Actions.SetEnabled(...), unless that only gives access to non-plugin actions.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby pmk65 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:41 pm

Aivars wrote:(1) is in the suggestions list, but I can't really figure out the use case. Could you help me with some examples why these notes/comments would help? Wouldn't it be more helpful to see the snippet itself?

I recently added a "Debounce" and a "Throttle" function to my JavaScript snippet library.
Both functions are very similar and I often can't remember which one I need for a specific project. So here displaying some info before inserting the snippet, comes useful.

Currently I either have to insert the snippet in editor or edit the snippet in order to see the DocBlock comments (That's the only way I can document a function currently).

The ideal solution would be if WeBuilder could extract the DocBlock comments (if available) from the snippet code and then display it as a tooltip when I hover the mouse over a snippet. That way there would be no need for an extra comment field and you avoid having the same info in both comment field and DocBlock comments.

Showing the snippet itself is not optional, as some of my snippets can be quite large because of lots of commenting in the code. ;)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby pmk65 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Aivars wrote:(2) I'll add it to list. I'm wondering though if it can't be done using Actions.SetEnabled(...), unless that only gives access to non-plugin actions.

I Tried both SetChecked and SetEnabled, but none of them worked.

Actions.SetChecked("ActPluginWWBSM_Toggle____Block_Select_Mode_", true);
Actions.SetEnabled("ActPluginWWBSM_Toggle____Block_Select_Mode_", true);

("ActPluginWWBSM_Toggle____Block_Select_Mode_" is the Action name of my plugin, that I got from Actions.List.)
pmk65

Postby Aivars » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Something strange is going on there, I performed some debugging and I can see that the action does become checked correctly but the menu item refuses to be drawn as checked for some reason. More research is required. Thanks for reporting.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests