Software doesn't have to be 100% bug free

Posts about other Blumentals Software products

Re: Software doesn't have to be 100% bug free

Postby chrisjlocke » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:33 pm

I moved your post, as it doesn't belong in the announcements forum.

I also don't believe you've released software that is 100% bug free - not a single issue. You can see for yourself through the forum issues people have with WeBuilder. Do you honestly expect every single one of these to be resolved before releasing WeBuilder 2011?
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby MikeyB » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:01 am

Maybe "Software doesn't have to be 100% complete and bug-free to be released." was the wrong way to phrase it, but no software is 100% bug-free.
As for complete, Karlis & his team try to include not only new features that they come up with, but as many as us as users request, and if they trued to include everything when would it be released? Who is to say it's complete?
I also know that when we realease a system to the users, there will always be some function or other that they want added in or never told us about.

I can't think of anything that I use, or even we've written here, that is 100% bug free.
Are you saying your software has absoultely no bugs at all, so never needs fixes or updates?

During testing of our own written software (or any software) you can get to a stage where no bugs may appear, but as soon as it's released users will do something that doesn't go right.

Even large £10,000s system we use here have bugs, some HUGE bugs, one current bug on a huge system after the last update, whenever a "normal user" goes to use a certain screen, they suddenly have admin permissions and can do anything in the whole system :shock: and it's been like this for nearly two months now wating for a fix, and yes this costs > £10,000
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby davenz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:58 am

I know this is an old thread but I just stumbled upon it and had to laugh out loud at the first post. I find it beyond belief that this poster considers software not 100% bug free should not be released. That rules out every and all versions of Windows, Linux and MacOS along with every other operating system and in fact anything ever coded by anybody (except them by the sounds of it). I have to question his own interpretation of what constitutes bugs if he considers he and his fellow coders can claim their released software is 100% bug-free. If that was indeed the case, it would be the first instance I have ever heard of. All the developers I have ever been involved with (my wife is a senior coder for Hewlett Packard) tell me all software has bugs, and I'm inclined to agree with them.
davenz

Postby mithcd » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Based on my experience, there is now such software as 100% bug free. I totally agree with you on this.
When in doubt, use Brute Force Image
mithcd

Postby MikeyB » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:25 am

I remember this thread at the time, but it looks like the first couple of posts have been deleted, so it no longer makes much sense, so I've locked it.
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Return to Other Products