Problem with 150+ frame gif

Post your questions and problem reports here

Problem with 150+ frame gif

Postby jarred » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:20 am

I can make about 150 frames, if I add any more I get and error: "can't allocated the DIB handle." My frames are 400x1000 pixels, bitmaps, 391 kb each. I am not having a memory issue. I am using the Easy GIF Animator 4 trial.
jarred

Re: Problem with 150+ frame gif

Postby Steverd » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:57 am

jarred wrote:I can make about 150 frames, if I add any more I get and error: "can't allocated the DIB handle." My frames are 400x1000 pixels, bitmaps, 391 kb each. I am not having a memory issue. I am using the Easy GIF Animator 4 trial.

I get the SAME error: Can't allocate the DIB Handle
I adding rather small frames about 10k each.
If I add more than about 50 frames or more I get this error.
I'm using an Intel Dual core processor with 2gb ram.
I have a ram monitor on and I can just watch the RAM drop to ZERO pretty fast and then goes to page file. Then this error comes up.

I'm using version 4.31 registered.

Steve
Steverd

Postby Karlis » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:22 pm

The GIF animation format is simply not designed for so large animations 400x1000 pixels is way too big for a Web animation. Though if there are not too many frames it should hold up, but certainly not with 150 frames.

In contrast, if you want to create 800x90 banner, you should have no problems having several hundreds of frames.

The GIF image format as such was designed for creating animated graphics that can be put on the Web, e.g. banners, buttons etc.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Steverd » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:48 am

Karlis wrote:The GIF animation format is simply not designed for so large animations 400x1000 pixels is way too big for a Web animation. Though if there are not too many frames it should hold up, but certainly not with 150 frames.

In contrast, if you want to create 800x90 banner, you should have no problems having several hundreds of frames.

The GIF image format as such was designed for creating animated graphics that can be put on the Web, e.g. banners, buttons etc.

That doesn't explain my problem. Some of the images are 320x240 or less and I can only get about 50 frames before the program errors out.
With the "Can't allocate the DIB Handle". As the RAM drops to Zero.

Steve
Steverd

Postby chrisjlocke » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:47 pm

Does this happen each time?
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby Karlis » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:25 pm

You should create the animation of maximum possible size and send it to us. Maybe the answer lies in the animation itself.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Steverd » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:01 am

chrisjlocke wrote:Does this happen each time?

It DID do this everytime, BUT I just ran some test tonight and it worked better. I was able to add 70-80 frames of 240x256 size without problems.

Also all of the images are in the PNG format, maybe this is part of the cause?

Steve
Steverd

Postby Karlis » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:28 pm

The PNG format should have nothing to do with this, but you can try this with other formats and let us know what are the results.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

150+ frame gif

Postby jarred » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:24 pm

No, I don't believe it has anything to do with the gif format. I just built a 232 frame gif out of 432 kb images using your software. The software crashes randomly...hate to say it, but I've been trying to replicate the crash in a consistent manner. I'll let you know if I find more clues.

Jarred
jarred

150+ animation

Postby jarred » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:46 pm

Just crashed when I selected all of the animation frames and tried to change the frame delay.
jarred

Postby Karlis » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:26 pm

What is your screen color resolution? Is it at least 32-bit colors?
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby wowggbad » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:16 am

same problem. i was at 1st using 1280x720 i got to about frame 30 and the error msg pops up. i read this topic, resized all images to 640x360. now i get to about 60 and the error msg pops up......help? i have 2.00GB of ram, so its in no way a spec problem. I tryed each size pictures at least 3 times. Only thing left i can do is restart my computer and try again, it might be that i haven't restarted my computer since i installed it?
[Did restart, and it dint change anything]

seems to me that there is a certian limit to the amount of something in this program, whether it be pixels or what i am not sure. But i have some programming experience, and this limit is very un-user friendly and could have be fixed/avoided very easily. There is always the possibility that i have a corrupt file, so i am going to reinstall and see what happens.

reinstall, it failed again around 60, this program was bought to save time so i dint have to use photoshop to make gifs with a lot of frames. i ended up wasting more time trying to get it to work then just using photoshop. any help that would fix this problem i would be grateful.

Sorry for the year bumb, but it seemed better then making a new thread.
wowggbad

Postby chrisjlocke » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:16 am

As previously said, GIFs are not designed for such big image sizes and the number of frames. They're designed for advert banners, annoying 'mail me' animations, and that stuff - not huge screensaver type applications.

If you need such dimensions, then you need to start looking at Flash. Now *thats* designed for that.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby wowggbad » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:46 pm

gifs files have no limit. Your just setting limits based on your/the program design. How can you tell me that gifs aren't supposed to be that big when i can make gifs that big with Photoshop? it may take a while an some effort, but its 100% possible to make the gif that i have in mind with Photoshop.
wowggbad

Postby Karlis » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:45 pm

Let's put it this way. Easy GIF Animator is not as advanced as Photoshop and it will not cope with abnormally large GIF files, though in theory they are possible. In practice there is nowhere to put such files, because you can not use them for the web as they are too big to load within reasonable limits of time.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Next

Return to Easy GIF Animator Support