Problem with 150+ frame gif

Post your questions and problem reports here

Re: Problem with 150+ frame gif

Postby Fernin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:00 am

I found this via a google search for "Can't allocate the DIB handle", and I can't help but speak my mind on the topic...

My story is quite similar to those who have already complained, but before you give me the stock "The program's not meant for gif files that big" speech, hear me out.

I have my own webcomic, and the strips are 800x800 pixels. Not every strip is animated, but I always use the Easy GIF Animator for the ones that are. I started off with the trial version, but I upgraded to the full version fairly quickly. After upgrading, I never had these memory problems. Most of my animations were small, of course, 5-10 frames, but I had a fair number that ended up being 30, 40, even up to 75 frames, depending what was going on. I did have one ambitious 475 frame animation... but no computer I or my friends own was powerful enough to handle that one... it got chopped down to 170 frames, and was just fine. Yes, you read that right, 800x800 pixels, 170 frames, all .png files, and the animator was able to handle it perfectly. You can see it here if you like. I should also mention, I've made 24 comics this way, 12 at 800x200, and 12 at 800x800, and the biggest file among them is 385kb. Most are in the range of 20-50kb.

Just recently, however, the gifan.exe file mysteriously disappeared from the folder. I went to use it one day, and it wasn't there. I dunno if it was a virus or what, but I had to revert back to the free trial. Naturally, I didn't save my information from when I first upgraded...

The comic I'm trying to make now is 50 frames, but every time, when I get to the 37th frame being loaded, it gives me the Can't allocate the DIB handle error, at which point my 2 gigs of memory are maxed out. I attempted loading them 10 at a time, and was able to get all 50 frames in, but when I tried to adjust the frame speed, it went back to the DIB handle error. I have to find fault with the fact that the program used to be able to handle animations exactly like this just fine, and now eats more memory than a cartload of Vistas. Not to mention the fact that no single program should be using up 2 gigs of RAM all on its own, regardless of what it's doing, or the fact that "gifs aren't supposed to be that big". There's absolutely no reason for it.
Fernin

Postby chrisjlocke » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:26 am

Thanks for the input. I'm only assuming, but I think EGA is sitting on the back burner, as WeBuilder plus 'real life' is taking so much of Karlis' time, there just isn't the resources (no pun intended!) to look into this problem. Hopefully your post will give Karlis some extra info to nail this issue. :)
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby Karlis » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:18 pm

Fernin, please contact us to our support e-mail and refer to this forum topic. I have a dusty old version of the software, maybe it will work better, I'm curious.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Fernin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:14 am

Well, it took a while to get around to it, what with the end of the semester projects and finals and all, but I finally got around to installing the older version that you sent me...

And it works perfectly. I was able to load all 50 frames of the comic I mentioned before (No, in all this time, I never got around to making it... I never found another gif animator that could handle making good looking, small size animated gifs). It didn't lag or eat up system resources or anything. There must be something about the newer version that's causing the memory leak, though I honestly have no idea what.

Thanks much for letting me do this, I've had a couple comic ideas that just wouldn't work out as well without being animated...
Fernin

Postby Karlis » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:07 am

We will be looking into this.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Easy GIF Animator Support