Another problem with large GIF

Post your questions and problem reports here

Another problem with large GIF

Postby ctjaeger » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:25 am

I have been trying to create a GIF using 117 images. About 70% are around 33k and the remainder are around 110k. If try to load all of them at the same time, I get the dreaded invalid handle error (described on previous posts). I got around this by loading the first 80 or so files and then adding the rest of them in groups of about 5 or 6 images. The problem I am having now is that images 2 through 37 start off almost completely black and the black gradually fades away until by slide 37 the images are "clean" again.

This is very frustrating. I monitor the system memory usage and when loading all files at once my system paged memory is maxed out. I am running 4GB RAM with WinXP SP2. No other application is running. After saving the GIF after each "load", I must exit the GIF Animator to clear the memory.

In no case can I change the slide time or order once I have over 80 - 90 slides. I always get the invalid handle error. I was using 4.0 Personal and upgraded to 4.0 Pro to see if that helped, but no. Nothing works on this large file.

Is there sometihng going on with the software? I really need to get this stuff done and am getting pretty frustrated.
ctjaeger

Re: Another problem with large GIF

Postby Karlis » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:55 pm

Easy GIF Animator is designed to work with images that do not exceed 700 x 700 pixels. Each separate frame image should be no more than 20 kb and it is recommended that the total size of the animated GIF file does not exceed 1000 kb. So generally it is recommended that your images do not exceed the size of regular web banners and pictures.

Animated GIF file format as such was not designed for large, full-screen images. It was designed for web banners and animated web pictures of small or medium size only. This means the Easy GIF Animator can not handle huge full-screen GIFs, because the GIF file format was not designed to cope with this amount of data.

It seems that you are on the wrong way. Animated GIF format is not appropriate for this task. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you should compile your images into a video or flash using some other software. Please contact us via support[at]blumentals.net for a refund.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Easy GIF Animator Support