Pallette problems

Post your questions and problem reports here

Pallette problems

Postby DKBrian2009 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi

I have the following problem :

I create all the frame animations in Photoshop and save the individual frames one by one in gif format (sorry but Photoshop is better at deducing the colors down to 256). The problem is that when I insert these Photoshop created gifs in Easy GIF Animator, the program doesn't just use them untouched. It looks like it's dithering the GIF images once more and thereby destroying Photoshop's good work. I have "Do not merge palettes" selected.

Thank you

Brian
DKBrian2009

Re: Pallette problems

Postby MikeyB » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:26 am

This could be due to that the whole .gif animation can only have the SAME 256 colour palette throught.
Each frame cannot have it's own palette.

When you save each frame in 256 colours from Photoshop it will be a different 256 colour palette for each one you save.
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby DKBrian2009 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:46 am

MikeyB wrote:This could be due to that the whole .gif animation can only have the SAME 256 colour palette throught.
Each frame cannot have it's own palette.

When you save each frame in 256 colours from Photoshop it will be a different 256 colour palette for each one you save.

You can have a local palette for each frame : http://kb.blumentals.net/kb/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=35
"Each GIF picture has an internal color palette attached to it. This color palette can contain up to 256 colors. In a GIF animation, you can have single palette for the whole animation or separate palettes for each frame. Each palette increases the size of animation file."

That is what the "Do not merge palettes" option is for in Easy GIF Animator. Right now I have to use an inferior Gif animator for this to work. In that one I can add my GIF frames from Photoshop one by one, select the "Local palette" option and save the whole thing. That GIF animator is not touching (degrading) the frames.
DKBrian2009

Postby Karlis » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:20 pm

There is an optimization algorithm applied on each frame once the file is saved. It is impossible to retain the Photoshop palettes. For this to happen you should use Photoshop built-in animation features.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Easy GIF Animator Support