Update: 2018 Beta 6 (free for everybody)

New release and update announcements

Update: 2018 Beta 6 (free for everybody)

Postby Karlis » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Today we have released WeBuilder 2018 Beta. Beta will be only available for the WeBuilder; Rapid CSS, HTMLPad or Rapid PHP will come as later betas or production releases only. The final release date and upgrade availability will depend on the amount of problems detected in beta.

Download
Beta testing is over. Download the full version from https://www.webuilderapp.com/

What's new?
Here is a list of changes and new features:
https://www.webuilderapp.com/whatsnew2018.php

Installing WeBuilder 2018 beta
* Version 2018 can co-exist with WeBuilder 2016 and 2015 and it is installed in a separate folder by default.
* Almost all settings are shared between versions and you can use both versions.
* Be careful with uninstalling any version (new or old) of WeBuilder. Make sure you choose to keep your settings when prompted by installer.

How can I contribute when using Beta version?
* It is important that you report any bugs via our support website (https://www.webuilderapp.com/support-contact.php) mentioning that you are using Beta 1 version.
* Beta most likely will contain bugs and every bug you find is a success if you report it to us.
* Please contact support ONLY regarding bugs, errors and obvious misbehaviour. (Do not send us e-mails with content like "I do not like the splash-screen" or "why did you not add all the features I requested?")
* If you have some comments or thoughts that are not bug reports, please DO share them, but only in this forum.
* We have very limited resources and support staff is overloaded already. We will appreciate if you give precise and detailed step-by-step problem reports to maximize the efficiency of the communication.

Thank you and enjoy, you are the best!
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Re: Update: 2018 Beta 1 (free for everybody)

Postby Oliver » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:46 am

Wow, good work.
That looks pretty good after my short test.
I like the dark mode very much, which Color Sheme is active by default?

What I would like to see, however, is a color representation instead of a small hover box above the color code. That's something I really miss when I used brackets.

Something like that:
https://i.imgur.com/LQqb5Go.png
Oliver

Re: Update: 2018 Beta 1 (free for everybody)

Postby Aivars » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:01 pm

The color mode that matches the default one used with the dark theme is called: Default Dark.

I'll add your suggestion about colors for consideration for the next year's version.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Re: Update: 2018 Beta 2 (free for everybody)

Postby Emulman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:16 pm

Great Work Karlis, above dark them...Now a proposal: for me is the only web tool i use, very professional. What about a start page where to choose what to create? htlm page, css, php, last open pages ecc? like dreamweaver?
Emulman

Postby pmk65 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:28 pm

Suggestion: In the Search dialog, would it be possible to add a new checkbox option for use when regular expression is selected?

New checkbox option: "Dot matches newline"

Right now if you do a search for ".*" using regex, you select the entire document. as it uses the "s" switch.
If it was possible to toggle this on/off it would be much easier to select content by line.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby anderson » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:37 am

(Possible) Bugs/glitches:

* The program hangs when switch from/to dark theme
* Using the Dark theme, there's a white area before drawing the menus.
* Sometimes, there's a "ghost" second program instance in the task bar.
* Ain't tested yet, but 2016 version has a very buggy xDebug support for remote debugging in complex php scripts (like Symfony/Laravel apps)

Cool features to add:

* Create a dedicated plugin api documentation section in the website
* Allow user-defined language syntax highlighting
* Dark theme for Chrome Developer Tools
* Add a rich textarea (w/syntax highlighting) control for plugins, if possible.

I really love WeBuilder but it lacks of advanced customization capabilites for power-users. However, both the new plugins features and dark theme are so sexy, geat job! :)

(Windows 8.1 x64 - 4gb ram / Webuilder 2018 Beta 2)
anderson

Postby weger » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:58 pm

I miss auto intellisense functions (like other editors) i.e. writing "div" get out "<div></div>" or writing ".class" get out "<div class='class'><div>". Is it possible to include such functions? This feature save much time and would make your editor to one of the best on market!
weger

Postby Aivars » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:17 pm

Emulman: I've added Welcome Page to suggestions.

pmk65: Use ^ and $ to select line start and end, and use *? for non-greedy matching. Regex ^.*?$ selects the whole line (any line).

anderson: Can you elaborate, does the program hangs forever or it's just that the switch takes some seconds? Also, can you give step-by-step how to get the ghost task bar instance?
Regarding rich-text suggestion, can you elaborate what is your plugin idea? Maybe using webkit and some html-based edit field would be sufficient, but I can't be sure without understanding what you would like to create.

weger: you can do it, Beta 2 comes with plugin called Emmet (if installed as fresh installation on PC where WeBuilder did not exist) and you can type div or .class and click menu Plugins -> Emmet -> Expand Abbrevation. This command might have a shortcut combination assigned to it, you can also assign/change it via menu Options -> Keyboard Shortcuts.
If you don't have this plugin installed, you can obtain the old version via Plugins -> Manage Plugins -> Plugin Catalog
Aivars

Postby pmk65 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:13 am

Aivars wrote:pmk65: Use ^ and $ to select line start and end, and use *? for non-greedy matching. Regex ^.*?$ selects the whole line (any line).

I know. But it's just SO MUCH easier when you can toggle the "s" switch. :)

Aivars wrote:anderson: Regarding rich-text suggestion, can you elaborate what is your plugin idea? Maybe using webkit and some html-based edit field would be sufficient, but I can't be sure without understanding what you would like to create.

There's already a TRichEdit class available in FastScript. I used it in my DocBlock Comment plugin to display the (Rtf format) help text.
But there might be some properties missing/needed so you can set bold, italics color etc. from plugin code.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby weger » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:45 am

[quote="Aivars"]
weger: you can do it, Beta 2 comes with plugin called Emmet (if installed as fresh installation on PC where WeBuilder did not exist) and you can type div or .class and click menu Plugins -> Emmet -> Expand Abbrevation. This command might have a shortcut combination assigned to it, you can also assign/change it via menu Options -> Keyboard Shortcuts.
If you don't have this plugin installed, you can obtain the old version via Plugins -> Manage Plugins -> Plugin Catalog[/quote]

Thank you, but this steps are more expensive than other editors. I prefer pushing Tab behind i.e. .div to get autocomplete, according to well known tools. If i have to click around or start every command throug shortcuts i assigned, finishing per hand is much faster for me.

Is it possible to run emmet->expanding quick (and easy) through ....TAB.... ?
weger

Postby Aivars » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:09 pm

You can't expand abbreviations by pressing TAB because tab is reserved, well, for tabulation. If tab does multiple things, it becomes too confusing during editing (sometimes tab does tabulation, sometimes expanding - that's not a good thing for most users). We might consider an optional option for Emmet plugin that allows this which is off by default, but right now you can assign and use any shortcut combination of your choice (and get more consistent editing behavior).
Aivars

Postby weger » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:29 pm

What a pity, used in Brackets and VSC i like this feature and had never problems with multible function of TAB. Coding is much faster. I like your editor too, but using one of the others, we spare time in writing code. Maybe you are able to create an option for using TAB starting emmet abbreviation in final release - some users ike it ;) - and we will update for sure.
weger

Postby Aivars » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:37 pm

No additional features are planned until the final release, there's already a huge amount of work to do to polish up the existing stuff. But the beauty of plugins is that they can be modified at any time between releases, not even update releases are needed.
Aivars

Postby anderson » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:59 pm

[quote="Aivars"]
anderson: Can you elaborate, does the program hangs forever or it's just that the switch takes some seconds? Also, can you give step-by-step how to get the ghost task bar instance?
Regarding rich-text suggestion, can you elaborate what is your plugin idea? Maybe using webkit and some html-based edit field would be sufficient, but I can't be sure without understanding what you would like to create.[/quote]

* The program hangs about 5 - 15 seconds. It's a delphi-related problem, I think.
* The ghost taskbar instance issue is completely random, but since it appears as soon as the program starts, MAYBE could be the Beta Version notice window or the new splash screen.
* A rich-text with syntax highlighting could be great to offer a preview of the code before perform any changes. My question: it's possible to make available the same code editor control that you use in the SQL browser for the plugins?

pmk65 wrote:
> [quote="Aivars"]pmk65: Use ^ and $ to select line start and end, and use *? for non-greedy
> matching. Regex ^.*?$ selects the whole line (any line).[/quote]
>
> I know. But it's just SO MUCH easier when you can toggle the "s" switch. :)
>
> [quote="Aivars"]anderson: Regarding rich-text suggestion, can you elaborate what
> is your plugin idea? Maybe using webkit and some html-based edit field would be
> sufficient, but I can't be sure without understanding what you would like to create.[/quote]
>
> There's already a TRichEdit class available in FastScript. I used it in my DocBlock
> Comment plugin to display the (Rtf format) help text.
> But there might be some properties missing/needed so you can set bold, italics color
> etc. from plugin code.

THIS. Something like TRichEdit with Syntax highlighting

However, the program crashes while rendering a plugin menu with images

Screenshot:
https://ingenia.me/uploads/2018/03/19/w ... issues.png
anderson

Postby Aivars » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:11 pm

It's a known issue and it will be fixed in Beta 3 (probably tomorrow). Thanks for reporting it and especially thanks to those who sent it to the support e-mail.
Aivars

Next

Return to Announcements