Protecting Windows Mail in Vista (Business)

Post your questions and problem reports here

Protecting Windows Mail in Vista (Business)

Postby Samson » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:24 am

Hi, I just bought your software and am delighted with it. I have a laptop running Vista Business which I use at work. I have protected Windows Mail and that works very well. However, if I right-click the Windows Mail icon on the Desktop (the shortcut) and click on "Run as Administrator" the program seems to bypass the password protection and runs :oops: . I'm scared of people in my office taking advantage of this feature and snooping about my emails while I'm away for short periods of time.
I know this is not very likely but I want COMPLETE protection and would be grateful for any suggestions. I tried other email clients (like Thunderbird, Mulberry, etc.) but in all of them I can bypass the password by using the "Run as administrator" feature. Hoping for a quick reply! And thanks again for this fantastic software!! :D
Samson

Please Help

Postby Samson » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:34 am

Is there no solution to this problem -- I don't even want administrators to be able to log in without a password. Thanks a lot.
Samson

Postby Karlis » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:39 pm

Is your computer account assigned admin rights and is your login protected with a password at all?

If security is a concern, you should not have admin rights assigned to your account, but run in standard user mode instead. This way if somebody launches run as admin option, they will be asked a password.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby Samson » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:27 am

Thanks for the reply -- I am the administrator and my laptop (a Sony Vaio TZ) is password-protected and fingerprint protected as well. How do I log in as a standard user? Sorry for the dumb question!! Should I create a seperate identity and only use that at work?
Thank you so much - am really enjoying your program!
Samson

Re: Thanks

Postby Karlis » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:13 am

Samson wrote:Should I create a seperate identity and only use that at work?

This would be the safest way at least for now. Vista is a pretty new system so it has its rough edges, hopefully they will go away with SP1. In the mean time we shall see what can be done on our side to improve the protection system further.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby Samson » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:13 pm

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply - this seems to have solved my immediate problems -- as a 'standard user' (at work) the system asks for a password, as you predicted. It's taking a bit of time to get used to Vista, even on my (gorgeous) laptop!!
All the Best!!
Samson

Return to Program Protector Support