Program Protector on Email client launches on mailto click

Post your questions and problem reports here

Program Protector on Email client launches on mailto click

Postby pjordan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:49 am

Version 3.0

I use the this program to password protect Windows Live Mail (the desktop software). That works fine. However, even when Live Mail is open, if I click a common mailto: link on the internet, the Program Protector prompts for a password. I supply it my password and a "new message" window opens with the expected email in the To field.

This is very bothersome to type in my password several times a day, when since I leave the Email Program open all day while I am there - I should only have to supply it once, when I launch the main application.

I really hope this can be fixed otherwise I am going to have to find a new solution.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
pjordan

Re: Program Protector on Email client launches on mailto click

Postby Karlis » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:57 pm

When you click mailto: link, your web browser actually opens a new copy of the Windows Mail software, thus the password is asked as Program Protector asks password every time the program is run as this is the only way to achieve maximum security.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby pjordan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:22 pm

When I click a mailto link, another wlmail.exe does not spring into life in task manager so I don't think it is opening another copy of Live Mail. I think there needs to be a switch that can be used on programs where PP will do this:

1. Notice Program is being launched
2. Check if program is already running
3. If program is already running, do nothing
4. If program not already running, prompt for password.

The user can use the switch if they want, or leave PP in default mode for the particular program.

If it is already running, all the person has to do is click "New" to start a new message. The fact that PP wants to prompt for a password when the program is already open does not add any security.

Paul
pjordan

Postby Karlis » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:03 am

Even though the other copy of Windows Mail does not spring in the task manager, it was still most likely launched for a split second when it gave the control back to the already running Windows Mail application.

Your idea sounds very reasonable and should we receive more similar requests which would signify the demand from our user-base, we may consider implementing this feature.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Program Protector Support