Daily Quotas not working after shut down

Post your questions and problem reports here

Postby Ghost » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:47 pm

When i shut down my system and restart the "enable usage..." box is unchecked automaticly every time i restart.
Is this a known problem or just with me?
Ghost

Postby Karlis » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 pm

This was a known problem and has been fixed in version 2.7 which is available for download right now.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Ghost » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:50 pm

But i am using 2.7. I even un-installed it and tried again several times and still the same problem!
Ghost

quotas

Postby Keystone » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:37 pm

I, too, can verify that I am running version 2.7.0.25 and when I restart my PC the quotas get disabled. very frustrating. fast switching has been disabled as well. any help would be appreciated.
Keystone

Postby Karlis » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:44 pm

What is meant by "quotas get disabled"?

Do you mean that allowed amount of time can be extended by restarting the computer or is it something else? Please describe your problem in deeper detail, otherwise we can not understand what is actually the problem.

There was a problem that allowed malicious user gain more internet time by constantly restarting the PC, however this one has been fixed. If you mean some other problem, please describe steps to reproduce it - click-by-click. Thanks!
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Keystone » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:51 pm

I'm not in front of the PC at the moment but i'll try and be as detailed as possible.

We currently have 5 users setup on this pc. The one particular user has 1 hr of time alotted each day. Initially, I started this user's profile and the little popup box down in the right corner asked me if i wished to begin my internet session. I click yes and the time starts ticking. From there i can either end my internet session or just shut the computer off...but the next time i start the PC and login as that user, no matter how much time i used during the previous session (could have used 5 min or all of it), the icon in the lower right corner has a green check mark and i can jump right on the internet. I don't have to click start session or continue session or whatever it may say. i can get right on w/ out any restrictions. Then when i go into iNet Protector and look at the quota tabs, the user in question does not have a check mark in the box that enables the quotas. The original 1 hr times are still in each days section, but the overall quota box is unchecked. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Keystone

Postby Keystone » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:10 pm

Is there any update on this? if not, i'd really like my money back b/c this software just won't work for me if there is no solution. thanks in advance for your reply.
Keystone

Postby Karlis » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:30 pm

We are currently working on this one, please hang on.

And we will need more info from you very soon, so maybe you should better contact us via e-mail: support[at]blumentals.net referencing to this conversation.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Karlis » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:16 pm

Ok, so here is an update. We managed to reproduce similar behavior on one computer however this time it was not happening as you described.

When the computer is re-started, the green check mark indeed appeared near to iNet Protector icon, however this was true only the first minute after the restart. Once the computer was fully started (it took approx one minute after the inet protector icon with green check mark appeared), the iNet Protector went to disabled state.

So here would be a possible solution (it *might* work for you as it did for us): If you have quotas set, once the restart is done and the computer has loaded, please let 1 - 2 minutes for iNet Protector to activate.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Daily Quotes not working

Postby frmaasdam » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:42 pm

I'll have the same problem as mentioned earlier.
I set up iNETProtector and give every account his/hers daily quota.
Then I close the setup and Internet is Blocked automatically.
When I want to Internet I left click the button and say Yes.
When I want to stop I left click the buttom and say Stop.
So far so good.
The next morning when I want to Internet I left click on the button and nothing happens.
When I right click the button (giving my administrator password) and click on Daily Quota I see that the check mark to enable daily quotes for every account has been removed.
When I check mark every account again everything works fien from that moment on.
So why does the check mark disappear in my setting?
How can this be solved?

Best regards,
Frank Maasdam
frmaasdam

Enable Internet usage quotas - check disappears

Postby richardeisenman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:26 am

I see this problem on one of two win2k computers I am testing.

I am testing the eval version (version 2.7 installed on 10/22).

I believe that the problem has something to do with either:

1) the computer with the problem logs on with a default user 'william' (with no password screen challenge)
2) user 'william' happens to have no password (eg, 'william's password is a null string).

The problem:

- I'm logged in as user 'william'

- click (eg 'check' mark appears) on Enable Internet usage quotas in the Daily Quotas box for 'william'

- reboot, and am logged back in as user 'william'. Check Daily Quotas, and its now un-checked.

To add to the complication, if I log-out from user 'william' and log back in as a different user 'jean' and THEN
re-activate quotas for user 'william' (and log back in as user 'william' ... I intentionally typed in a string for
his password and then entered a null string), the problem goes away. IT EVEN GOES AWAY AFTER A REBOOT.

I did not try reinstallation to see if I could duplicate the problem again. I'll keep you posted if the problem
comes back.

My guesses: you are intercepting system level passwords somehow? And your routine isn't properly
recognizing that a user is logged in who has a null password? Or your routine isn't properly recognizing a user who is an
auto-logon user (eg is not challenged for a password).

Please send me a free license if I'm right about this!! Thanks.
Richard Eisenman
richardeisenman@yahoo.com
richardeisenman

Postby frmaasdam » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:31 am

Well.

In my case:
I log in with a XP account with a non empty password string.
So I have one User called Nadia (rename of user PCPO) with reflects to user PCPO in this program.
Something todo with a rename of the standard user?

Frank
frmaasdam

Postby richardeisenman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:34 pm

In previous post I speculated about default users and null passwords and that I was seeing the problem on only one of two computers I'm testing. Now, I think that was wrong.

I see the problem on both computers; if as Karlis indicates in a previous post, you don't wait a few minutes for the computer to settle down after a reboot.

So a 'normal' user would not run into this problem, but certainly a software evaluator testing the configuration by rebooting to various users would run into this problem right away.

Bug or feature?
Richard Eisenman
richardeisenman@yahoo.com
richardeisenman

Postby Karlis » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:24 pm

So richardeisenman, did the green checkmark go to red cross after you waited some moment?

I can not call it a real bug, because the internet is allowed only for one to two minutes and that can do no real harm, though maybe in some cases it is not good. However I would like to make sure that it really does go to red cross after that 1-2 or maybe 3 minutes, otherwise it is a real bug.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Il have the same Time Quota problem as mentioned earlier.

Postby kwillis » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:04 am

I don't see a resolution to the issue. Five users on XP Home and I'm the only administrator. I eventually notice one of the kids being online for far more than an hour on weeknights. I check Inet Protector and all of the time allotments are set but are disabled for each user. I'll recheck the box on each account and close the window. I'll restart the optios window again to make sue the settings held.

A couple of nights go by and I notice the extended use again. The Time Quotas are again disabled. I have changed my password in case they figured it out, reset Inet, and A day or two later I notice the extended use again.

I gather that this has been a problem with others, but I see nothing about an answer on how this is occurring or is resolved. It gets to be quite an issue around here.

What information do you need to offer a resolution?
kwillis

Next

Return to iNet Protector Support