Daily Quotas not working after shut down

Post your questions and problem reports here

Postby Karlis » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:18 pm

Dear Kwillis,

The problem is that it happens only on some computers and for very few customers, thus it is very difficult to trace the problem.

I would like to know the following from you:

1) Does the problem occur with quotas administrator account. If you are not sure, please enable them and try for some time.

2) If you enable quotas for user and restart the PC, does the <enable quotas> checkbox is still checked?

3) Did you enable quotas while logged as Administrator or as user.

After I have your answers, we might be able to improve this.

As for now the alternative would be to engage the Schedule feature as well to at least set some bounds.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby kwillis » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:10 pm

I have been making observations and it seems that that the timer for specific user disables when that user logs off the computer and logs back on. I have the "switch user" feature disabled so the computer needs to power down. I do see that the quota is disabled for only the accounts that have logged into their accounts.

I have rebooted a couple of times without accessing the internet and the quota settings all stay enabled. It appears that some internet use is necessary

All of the numbers I edited into the timer remain even if the timer for that account has been disabled.

I have been doing this all as a user with full administrative rights. I do see that your program has three tabs for accounts I haven't established; "Guest", "Administrator", and "Aspnet". I figured these accounts were part of your template.

This is on an IBM Netvista with a P4 and XP Pro.
kwillis

Postby Karlis » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:55 pm

We have discovered that quotas get disabled only in specific cases:

1) If you use Individual user schedule + Quotas + Disable internet on startup features all at the same time.
2) On some occasions when you use Individual user schedule + Quotas simoultaneously.

The workaround till mid-February when the update will come out is to avoid using Quotas in combination with Individual user schedule. Just use the general schedule if you need it.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby mikek » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:56 pm

I seem to have the same problem on two PCs. Identical mobos and both running Xp professional with normal log in for users.

Will there be a new s'ware release that might fix this?
Thanks
MikeK
mikek

Postby wwitten » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:44 pm

Has this problem with utilizing both an individual user schedule and quotas simoultaneously been resolved in the new release?

I've had this problem and had to resort to just setting the timer, but that's a little time consumming and I've gotten to the point that I consider this application pretty useless. I've downloaded and installed the new version today and I'm sure my teenage son will give it a good test.

By the way, my son plays a game called "Counter Strike" which uses an underlying application "Steam" produced by Valve. This has a text and voice application known now as their "Friends Server" which utilizes "Ventrilo". My son is able to voice and text message through this "Friends Server" even when iNet has disabeled the internet connection. Have checked the firewall settings and nothing has been modified to allow specific port entry.

Will test this out with this new version and let you know, but FYI there seems to be a lot of ways for Tech Savey individuals to get around this program.
wwitten

Postby wwitten » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:14 pm

Well the good news is so far it looks like you can use the schedule and the quota's together.

The bad news is what I discovered as far as this game CounterStrike is concerned. It is my understanding that my son can start an internet contection through iNet logon to the game server, and start a game. He then can turn off the timer/quota function in iNet, thus saving his internet time. Somehow through this game a VPN type tunnel is established between his PC and this server, which is uneffected by turning iNet off. He is then able to play for twenty to thirty minutes until the game is over. He then starts the process over, turns on iNet quota, starts game, turns off iNet plays game. This morning I watched him play on line a couple of different games for over a hour while only using 4 minutes off of his quota.

Therefore even the timer function doesn't help in this senerio. Forced to limit/disconnect the actual physical connection to the internet to address this issue and limit his game play.

Don't know if you if you have any thoughts, but would think that you need to investiigate how this connect is established and maintained.
wwitten

Postby Karlis » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:16 pm

Yes, this problem has been resolved already. Please download the latest version. Thank you.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Old version doesn't fully uninstall; still have problems

Postby kwillis » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:12 am

I downloaded the newest version and would like to do a clean uninstall of iNet to see if this fixes things. I uninstalled through "Add/Remove Programs" but after reinstalling iNet, it still wanted the old password. Plus, all the problems remain.

How do I remove all of your code so I can do a clean reinstall?

Thanks.
kwillis

Postby Karlis » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:55 pm

The uninstall IS clean, it is just that your settings are kept so that you do not have to re-enter everything. All old program files are uninstalled.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

New version fixes problems?

Postby kwillis » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:29 am

I emailed but got no reply. I've been running version 2 with everything disabled but the timer. Quotas and clock protector had to be disabled or INet buggered the system. I see that there is a new version; did the update address any of these issues? If so, can I give it a try?
kwillis

Postby Karlis » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:21 pm

Yes, please contact sales team and provide your full name, email and order number:

http://www.blumentals.net/support/sales.php

you will be upgraded fro free
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Previous

Return to iNet Protector Support