Recovery no good on laptop

Post your questions and problem reports here

Recovery no good on laptop

Postby ideaspring » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:12 pm

My brother manages access on both my machines, but he's forgotten the password on the laptop.

There is a major flaw here, because it blocks out the ability to access Blumental's own site in order to send such a request. I can understand that this might also be seen as an advantage in order to stop people letting themselves back in, but the idea of this programme is to limit internet use, not to completely disable a computer from having this function!

I have requested a new key via my desktop, but this is rejected when I try it on the laptop. Is this anything to do with the fact that I have purchased two copies of this product, and it is sending me the key for the newer version? I don't have purchase details for the original, but both are under the same email address.
ideaspring

Postby Karlis » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:14 pm

This is possible.

What you have to do is to execute the recovery procedure on the laptop and when it opens a web browser window (displaying page not found or connection error), write down the address bar contents and enter the very same address on a PC that is able to access the web.

The key is to use the same web address that recovery engine on the blocked computer has generated.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby ideaspring » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:38 pm

Karlis,

Many thanks for that suggestion, I have sorted it out now. What happens if you don't have another computer though?
ideaspring

Postby Karlis » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:55 pm

In the next version we shall allow to access our recovery website.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to iNet Protector Support