Q: System time

Post your questions and problem reports here

Q: System time

Postby LennartW » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:08 pm

I have a problem with system time. In order to stop students from changing system time I have done the following:

"Launch iNet Protector, click Settings, and then click to select Options tab. In the Options tab, enable the option Block changes to system time."

It stops them from changing system time allright. No problems there. The problem is that after I've done that the system time start changing making all shedule totally useless.

[We have Laptops (Dell Latitude D510:s and the like) on a wireless LAN without a server and all traffic goes through the same router.]

What shall I do?

Regards,
Lennart
Sweden
LennartW

Postby Karlis » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:14 pm

Do you use hibernate or suspend features? If these features of a system are used, then "block changes to system time" option is not recommended. In such case you should prevent your users from changing system time by other means, e.g. Windows system policies.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby oracledba » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:29 pm

I have noticed that the system clock in all pc''s are not accurate,
They are close but almost all pc's and notebooks gain/lose many seconds per week.
The timefade is worst in those PC's which are used the most and/or rebooted the most. I haven't tested hibernated/standby but I suspect that could affect time gain/loss as well.

There are many freeware utilities that can sync your system time to the atomic clocks. To get a list do a google seach on set time sntp freeware

Ideally I would like inetprot to make sure that my system time is accurate.
It already blocks changes to system time from users but but it should then go one step further and do a sntp query and ensure that the system clock is accurate.
This would protect the PC from both "normal" system time fade as well as overt attempts by the user to change the PC clock.

An alternative to inetprot providing this above function would be to have Inetprot continue to block changes by user to system time but allow a 3rd party utility to set to the atomic clock. this is less ideal than having the function intergrated into inetprot but I guess it would work ok.
oracledba

Postby DanBM » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:54 pm

I have noticed that the system clock in all pc''s are not accurate

Incorrect. My system time was very accurate until I started using iNet Protector. Now my system time is off by about 1/2 hour over a period of only several days.
DanBM

Postby Karlis » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:24 pm

For those whose system time is affected by iNet Protector, the recommendation would be not to use "block changes to system time" setting, but use some program that corrects the time automatically.

We are going to try to resolve this time issue in the next version of iNet Protector.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to iNet Protector Support