Daily Quotas Not Working

Post your questions and problem reports here

Daily Quotas Not Working

Postby mempho » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:17 pm

Hello,

I purchased Inet Protector for myself some time ago. I have ADD and I have the ability to hyperfocus on certain things, but these are often the wrong things. As such, the internet presents a world of both opportunity and its own unique pitfalls for myself. I've been able to discipline myself to a large extent, but I'm still prone to screwing up and wasting a large part of the day from time to time. That's why I purchased Inet Protector; to limit the amount of time that I spend on non-work related internet usage. I wrote a long, random password and stuffed it away in multiple, but relatively inconvienient locations.

The program has worked fine for me. I've allowed the sites that I need for work-related research and allowed everything except for web browsing (which suits my needs just fine). I was allowing it for certain blocks of time (like lunchtime and 4-5pm in the afternoon). That works fine.

Really, however, I'd like to allow it only for one hour per day on a quota (but I don't want to be able to use the quota early in the morning as it's a bad, unproductive way to start the day).

Anyway, I couldn't get quotas to work so I allowed all hours on the schedule. Then, I still couldn't get quotas to work. FWIW, if I have to choose, I'd rather use the quota than the schedule.

Anyway, here's what I'm trying to do:

-Allow 1 hr of usage per day on non-work related sites (2 hrs on Fridays, which are typically slower)
-Disallow even quota usage between 8am and 10am as well as between 1:30pm to 2:30pm (just a lazy post-lunch tendancy)

Further, if I could, I would allow unlimited and quota-free access after 5pm (but I don't think that is possible with the program).

Anyway, here are my questions:

-Can I use quotas coupled with the schedule (so that even quota usage is disallowed early in the morning)?
-Why can't I get the quotas to work in the morning?
mempho

Postby Karlis » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:44 pm

You should be able to use the quotas together with schedule. To set daily quotas, click Daily Quotas, then pick the tab with *your* computer user name. If you are unsure, set quotas for *all* tabs. Quotas are set based upon week-days. So if you want just 1 hour per day, put 1 in every box on all tabs and click OK.

As I understand, you are the only one logged in the PC, so there should be no multi-user conflicts.

The quotas work this way. When they are on, the Internet is *disabled*, you must click iNet Protector tray icon to start using your quota.

If you still believe it does not work, please let me know what exactly does not work and how (in which way) it does not work.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby mempho » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:42 am

Karlis wrote:You should be able to use the quotas together with schedule. To set daily quotas, click Daily Quotas, then pick the tab with *your* computer user name. If you are unsure, set quotas for *all* tabs. Quotas are set based upon week-days. So if you want just 1 hour per day, put 1 in every box on all tabs and click OK.

As I understand, you are the only one logged in the PC, so there should be no multi-user conflicts.

The quotas work this way. When they are on, the Internet is *disabled*, you must click iNet Protector tray icon to start using your quota.

If you still believe it does not work, please let me know what exactly does not work and how (in which way) it does not work.

No, I've tried that.

Basically, the scheduling function works fine. When I open up the quotas window, there are 3 users (Admin and 2 others) and I check the "enable quotas" box for all 3 users and I set the time to 1 hour in each of the 5 workdays except for 24 hours on Saturday and Sunday for all of the users.

It doesn't matter if I click "disable internet" or whatever after hitting OK. Once I "close" out of Inet Protector, and try to click the icon, the "quota time" box doesn't pop up, just the main program console. Also, I can stay on the internet for hours without getting a quota restriction.
mempho

Postby mempho » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:52 am

FWIW, the computer is on an office network.
mempho

Postby mempho » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:11 am

I think I'm ruined because my network "username" isn't showing up on the users' tabs.
mempho

Postby Karlis » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:50 am

Limitations can be set based on local username, not network username.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to iNet Protector Support