Checking on quota limits

Post your questions and problem reports here

Checking on quota limits

Postby tdonline » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:30 am

I'm using the evaluation version and so far, iNet Protector has been the best program I've tested. Before I purchase, I'd like to figure out a couple of things.

1) How do I check how much time I've used from my daily quota limit? I do see the update but it's because the program shows it...how do I get it on demand?

2) I'm using both the Schedule and Daily Quota options. While the Schedule function is working according to my preferences, it seems the Daily Quota option isn't providing the correct reflection of my online use. I've been tweaking my allowances in the Daily Quota as I'm balancing access for work and pleasure. Is the Daily Quota counter reset every time I change my limits? For example, if I change from 3 hours to 4, if I have already used 2 hours that day, it seems like the counter resets to 4 hours after I change my limits.

From the evalution so far, my favorite features are the ones that allow access so I can still listen to music via allowable programs (Last.fm and Pandora) and remote desktop so I can work without having all the time online charged against my quota. This actually encourages me to lower my limits because I'm not afraid of being cut off from work or music. My weakness are the browsers...

Thanks.
tdonline

Re: Checking on quota limits

Postby tdonline » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:08 pm

Okay, I think I have figured out question #2.

If I click once on the iNet icon in my tray then the daily quota comes up. If I click "yes" there, then the counter goes into effect. What I have been doing is opening up the program and typing in my password to enable the internet. This method logs me onto the internet without counting against my quota limit.

Sigh. Is there a way to make it a bit more cumbersome to enable the internet? I'm evaluating iNet to control my browsing habits so I have the password. I guess I could make my password really hard to remember and hide it away. Or have a friend input a password and withhold it from me barring an emergency.
tdonline

Postby Karlis » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:00 pm

Well, iNet Protector was not intended to protect yourself from the internet (or protect internet from yourself for that matter) :) - the target audience are actually computer owners/supervisors who want to limit somebody elseā€™s usage of Internet connection.

You can use iNet Protector for fixing your Internet usage habits, but you will have to put some creative thinking in place. The example with really difficult password is one solution that might actually work.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby tdonline » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:39 am

Karlis wrote:Well, iNet Protector was not intended to protect yourself from the internet

Well, I wished I had read this BEFORE I bought the product :roll: :lol:

I did switch to a random password that I stored away...but with the evaluation program I discovered the "bypass" button and that was killing me. So we'll see how I do with the paid product. If that doesn't work, then my friend will input a password that she won't share with me...

One feature that I liked in another product was an auto off option for the computer. I think that's a huge but simple problem for me. If I don't turn off the computer, then the temptation to surf mindlessly is so much greater. When I'm forced off the computer, it's a a very real push for me to move on and do something else.
tdonline

Postby Karlis » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:51 am

Unfortunately we do not have computer off option, however I hope at least that the internet control features will help you at least to some degree. :D
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby tdonline » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:05 am

It's a work in progress ;) I'll report back in 3 months or so...

For those interested, I found that Scheduled Tasks in Win XP can be used to automatically shut down your computer. Use Google and key words to find specific instructions.
tdonline

Return to iNet Protector Support