NOT WORKING

Post your questions and problem reports here

NOT WORKING

Postby New Customer » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:23 am

I purchased the software last night and downloaded the full version right after payment was made. After the download, I installed the full version right away. This was the first time I installed Inet Protector (never once tried the Trial Version). The installation went quite smoothly. The problem occured when I found out it did not protect anything ! Here are some examples:

.... First thing I did was set a password in Setting. The password feature worked. No problem there.

1. Under Schedule, I tried to block all hours in 7 days just to test, after I clicked OK, a reminding message told me Internet will be disabled in 1 minute ( just as I set for warning time ). However ... I was still able to browse the web, check email, play poker online .. etc. Under Setting>>Allowed Services, I had all boxes UNCHECKED. So what was going on there ?

2. So I tried something different. Under Schedule>>Set Custom Interval ... I put a check on Wedseday and set to disable internet from 12AM to 11.59PM ... and click OK ... right after that, I was still able to browse the net, play poker online etc...

3. One of the strangest thing I found was every time I put a check on a day I want to disable, the check disappeared when I went back in to verified. It acted like the memory was not there.

4. I also noticed while Inet Protector was running, I was able to see it on the Task Manager Screen under Application. I was able to end task Inet Protector as well. So much for password protected.

I finally got fed up, uninstalled the software and reinstalled it again ... SAME PROBLEMS.

Please advise ... thank you.

P.S. I run window xp pro
New Customer

Postby Karlis » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:38 pm

Since this has never been reported and can not be reproduced on any of our PCs, it seems to be something related to your PC.

Thus I have replied your inquiry privately via e-mail.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby NEW CUSTOMER » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:02 pm

Thank you for your response. I will try the software on another computer and will see.

Regards,
Dave
NEW CUSTOMER

karlis, u might want to see this...

Postby yfoon » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:11 pm

i think i know wad the fellow meant when he said that nothing seems to be working.

i ran maplestory, a MMORPG game with gameguard and an instance of internet explorer 6. and then set the schedule to switch off in one minute.

when the minute was up, the connection remained. HOWEVER, if i shut down all connections to the internet such as maplestory and internet explorer before running them again, the internet connection was severed.

i repeated the whole procedure again, this time without gameguard running in the background. the connection was cleanly severed.

gameguard, in my case, and probably some other program in his case is definitely at fault here. care to look into it?
yfoon

Postby Karlis » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:02 am

Hm, gameguard... Thanks for the info, probably that would help.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

stop gap measure?

Postby yfoon » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:27 am

hey karlis, maybe you could put in a mandatory windows log off option in the program to ensure that all processes in the background will be resetted when internet is disabled.

that would be a fantastic stop-gap measure. and save me twenty bucks buying another program that does that alone. LOL. =)
yfoon

Postby Karlis » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:47 pm

I am not sure about this, we would like to try to defeat gameguard first :)
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

an enquiry

Postby yfoon » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:03 pm

how is the battle against gameguard going?
yfoon

Postby Karlis » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:35 pm

As far as our developer explored this, Gameguard was designed to prevent other software from working normally (such software as memory management, network management and so on) and it only comes with some games.

The problem is, we could not find a standalone Gameguard software that we could install on our test PC. It only comes with some big commercial games and we can't get or hands on one of them, because they are not free.

Do you have an idea on how we could get it?
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby rajenkins » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:01 am

This got me interested, though I'd never heard of 'gameguard'.

There are several things of that name, but 'INCA nProtect Gameguard' appears to be the most likely one.

The description (links below) reads more like malware or a rootkit - for an average user it's effectively unremovable, runs on boot as a service regardless of the program that installed it needing it & bypasses the OS protection on various things..

Links to some info:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bugtraq ... 029555&w=2
http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/18952

If this is the culprit, there is a download link (in the first link above) for a game client including 'gameguard' - see the 'Reproduction and Proof of Concept' section. (And from the sound of it, having a full backup or ghost image on hand may be advisable!).
Robert Jenkins
rajenkins

Postby Karlis » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:51 pm

In this case I think it would be advisable to remove any game using gameguard.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

gameguard is not a mlaware

Postby yfoon » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:27 am

GAMEGUARD IS NOT a malware! Yes, it is the IncaGameguard thing that the previous fellow mentioned.

maplestory at Maplesea.com is a free game u might want to test it with. by the way, the latest version of iprotectyou is a good program that defeats gameguard easily. you might want to check it out?
yfoon

Postby Karlis » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:58 pm

Ok, we'll try to check this out.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

hows it going?

Postby yfoon » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:03 pm

Hey how is the thing with gameguard going?
yfoon

Postby Karlis » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:33 pm

Currently the gameguard thing has been given low priority, as soon as we solve more important issues, we will resume our work on this problem.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to iNet Protector Support