Web Design

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

Web Design

Postby mapleleaf » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:38 am

Since all of us are using WB for web design, I'd thought of asking this question in this forum.

1. To what screen resolution do you design your web site with and for?
2. Do you keep statistics about your visitors to help you make any changes on your web site?
3. Should one at the initial page declare to what screen resolution this web site is optimized for?
(ie) this web site is optimized for a screen resolution of 1280x1024
3a. Then should one also indicate for which browser it is optimized for?
With the emergence of html5 this isn't that much of an issue since they would all validate as html5(if done correctly) then the only differences would
be that browser's interpretation and/or implementation of html5 (ie) Opera at the moment doesn't do color gradients
4. layouts are of two types: which is the preferred type/method and why?
a. fixed
b. liquid

Here is an image in a time period from Feb. 1 - Feb 10, 2011. Now should this be an indicator to what screen resolution the web site is to be designed for?
Then clearly 1280x1024 the one of choice.

Then comes the question, what about the iPhone, the iPAD or Android

Any comments on these?

mapleleaf
mapleleaf

Re: Web Design

Postby Blu75w3b29 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:16 am

For me I guess I also like the 1280 x 1366 because it is the normal size of the LCD resolution. But I still use the 1024 x 1229 for non LCD pc because we all know that there are still many non LCD pc around. Anyway flash can configure the resolution of the web site that you are making.
Blu75w3b29

Postby Capricorn » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:00 am

mapleleaf wrote:1. To what screen resolution do you design your web site with and for?

1024px width, sometimes 1280px
mapleleaf wrote:2. Do you keep statistics about your visitors to help you make any changes on your web site?

Yes, I think it's an easy way to see wjoch changes are necessary and which aren't.
mapleleaf wrote:3. Should one at the initial page declare to what screen resolution this web site is optimized for?
(ie) this web site is optimized for a screen resolution of 1280x1024

No! A website should be viewable at all screen resolutions (except smaller than 1024px for example)
mapleleaf wrote:3a. Then should one also indicate for which browser it is optimized for?
With the emergence of html5 this isn't that much of an issue since they would all validate as html5(if done correctly) then the only differences would
be that browser's interpretation and/or implementation of html5 (ie) Opera at the moment doesn't do color gradients

No, same reason like before. Also blocking browser like chrome because it is a by "evil" Google I think is nonsense. If you don't want visitors to visit your site, you shouldn't create one.
mapleleaf wrote:4. layouts are of two types: which is the preferred type/method and why?
a. fixed
b. liquid

Depends on the topic, expected audience (mobile users, children, ...) and the design. But I would prefer fixed layouts, because they look more the same on every resolution.
Capricorn

Postby Audrey » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:22 am

I agree with you ā€œBlu75w3b29ā€¯ 1280 x 1366 is a normal size for the LCD resolution. I donā€™t want to change the resolution lower or higher in the normal size of LCD. So if I design the web site I could not be getting difficult to adjust all font size or the margins.
Audrey

Postby Sloane_9 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:45 am

I am looking for a website which can provide me collection of self storage website design so that i can get idea about designs. I believe that website design should be attractive and creative. Can anyone help me by their suggestion?
Sloane_9

Postby frankhalligan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:03 am

One of my friend works in web design nyc and he always uses 1440-1452px as far as I know.
frankhalligan

Postby miodek1987 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:27 am

Yep, I agree. 1440-1452px is also my work space.
miodek1987

Return to Web Developer Talk