Are you still using tables?

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

Postby notuo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:56 am

+1
notuo

Postby daredare » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:23 pm

+2
daredare

Postby syrupcore » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:20 am

daredare wrote:+2

-1. ;p

you do realize that
chrisjlocke wrote:I think you need to back that up. Apart from displaying tabular data, I can't think of one instance where it is better to use tables, rather than CSS.

was in reference to
daredare wrote:i think that sometimes tables can be much more consistent than div style layout. not to replace all the layout with tables but using them in certain cases

right?
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby daredare » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:18 pm

regarding fonts the nesting of table permits to have a site with a font size of 9pixel to look the same both in ff and safari(and no specifying in ems wont do the job either), with divs you can render this similar layout only with a font equal or superior to 11px.
daredare

Postby syrupcore » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:23 pm

good news! That's completely untrue. http://alistapart.com/articles/howtosizetextincss

you can ignore all the em parts if you want. just learning to set the font sizes on both the body and html elements and off you go. You might consider working with ems if you'd like the sites you've worked so hard on to be viewable and enjoyable by as many people as possible. I know I want as many people as possible enjoying the stuff I worked on.

I mean, if you like changing a million font tags every time you want to tweak something on your sites, rock on. :)

If you need help getting it to work, why not make a new thread and post a link. Maybe some one here can help.

will
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby daredare » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:04 am

yes i have used that technic to put in the body the 100%(or whatever as there as been so many stated %) then working in ems but still that way you get different sizes wich can be little but can affect some web pages designs
daredare

Postby daredare » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:07 am

syrupcore wrote: and html elements and off you go.

yes but what if i dont work with <p> or whatever other html font related element? i only work with font-size:XXem
daredare

Postby Cary » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:17 am

daredare wrote:...but still that way you get different sizes which can be little but can affect some web pages designs

So what happens when the fonts on one of your pages are resized by the user?
Cary

Postby syrupcore » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:15 am

daredare wrote:
syrupcore wrote: and html elements and off you go.

yes but what if i dont work with <p> or whatever other html font related element? i only work with font-size:XXem

did you read the whole article?

font sizes cascade. set the html element to 100%. then set the body element to a percentage, say 78% (depends on the size you need). your p elements will pick that up from the body tag. if you need to adjust the p to be larger or smaller, you can set it in either % or in em.

reality is people browse with different size text. most people see it in a menu at one point or other, resize the text and then never look back. don't rely on your font size cause it's not what all of your users are seeing. If you're not building to accommodate increased/decreased font sizes, your site looks horrible to some users. plain truth... unless you just use image maps. ;)

Will
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Previous

Return to Web Developer Talk