OT: Please Share the Sound of Your World

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

OT: Please Share the Sound of Your World

Postby syrupcore » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:08 am

Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are due to have our first child on December 19th. (!!!) We thought it would be cool to collect as many audio recordings from as many different locations around the world as possible recorded on the day our kid cometh. Something s/he can look back on in 20 years to hear the sound of the world on the day they arrived in it. You don't need to be a recording engineer and it doesn't need to be anything magical ā€” it can be anything at all. The sounds from your porch or the TV in your room or your trip to work or your brother's soccer game or sweetheart's snoring or whatevers. We'd actually prefer it to be more 'day in the life' than 'this really interesting sounding thing near my house' but whatever works.

ANY recording device will do. Video camera, cell phone, tape recorder, computer mic... anything! If you're unsure if something will work, please ask. We can help.

So then, two things:

1) If this sounds interesting and you'd like to be a part of it, please visit a site we threw up and sign up to be notified via email and/or phone text message on the day the kid actually shows up: http://soundofthatday.com/ We wont use your info for anything at all except that. I don't think we'll really be in a place to post to a forum on the big day. This'll let us send out a single email/text to all who signed up. You can also get a few more details about the project there. The skinny is: Any sound, any length, any format. Easy. When it's all done, the site will host them all so everyone can check out what the day sounded like.

2) Tell other people! This is very much a 'more the merrier' sort of project.

ANY questions, please ask.

Thank you!
Will

PS. Sorry for the very off-topic post. It will be hosted on a website entirely made with webuilder. ;)
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby Gatis » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:13 am

Will, first, I would like to congratulate both of you! :)

I think this is an interesting idea! I will try to record something.
I think it would also be interesting to record something visual, for example, pictures? People could make some pictures of places, things, people around them. Just thinking ;)

I also think such project certainly will bring up good memories after years pass by and you together will listen to these records once you are old.

Good luck to all three of you! ;)

With best wishes,
Gatis
Gatis
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby syrupcore » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:35 pm

Gatis, thank you so much.

There will be a way to upload a photo with each audio submission. I'm tempted to add video but I'm trying to keep focus on audio - it leaves the images up to the listener. That said, if some video comes in (the easiest way to record audio for most people will be their video camera), I will certainly keep it to share with the kid!

Will
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby notuo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:57 pm

Will, congrats to both of you.
I already enrolled to the reminder (Dr. Alzheimer is chasing me now).
As a father of 2 girls (21 and 17 now) I can tell, this will be a terrific gift to yours.
Angel
notuo

Postby syrupcore » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:57 am

Thank you notuo!
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby MikeyB » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:18 am

Hi Will,

Congratulations and good luck to you all, hope everything goes smoothly.

My wife and I recently had a new arrival. She was due on November 19th but surprised us all by being born on 9th September, somewhat early weighing in at 2lb 3oz.

But she's doing fine and is now 6lb 2oz and is a right little monkey!!!!!

And a quick plug for http://www.kacybeale.co.uk

:-)

Mike
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby syrupcore » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:24 pm

Congrats Mikey! So tiny! So cute!
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby syrupcore » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:08 am

We had a girl! 7.3lb, 22" long. Both she and mama are doing great.

If you're in for the recording project, please hit record! Monday recordings are great too. --> http://soundofthatday.com/ (now with a pic)

W00t!

Will
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby MikeyB » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:20 am

That's great news Will, congratulations to all, and glad to hear all is well.

Get ready for waking at all strange hours of the night, and wondering how you managed to make it though the next day!

:-)
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby syrupcore » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:25 am

haha. or just staying up all night cause it's easier than the pain of waking up 20 times all night... :) it's a great sort of tired though.
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Return to Web Developer Talk