Rapid php

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

Rapid php

Postby MaxD » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:57 pm

I'm thinking about installing xammp again. I have to really as I want to change a WordPress site I have as the look is annoying me. :roll: Questions are:

How will Rapid php help me;
How easy is it to make xammp work with Rapid php;
How straightforward is it to upgrade xammp as required;

Any opinions would be of interest.
MaxD

Postby chrisjlocke » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:12 pm

I don't think RapidPHP will help that much - its really HTML and CSS that the theme is made up of. Wordpress is built using php, but the templates, etc, are HTML and CSS.
I've not used Wordpress in anger to see how a theme is built, but this site has some nice themes:
http://www.freecsstemplates.org/

Assuming RapidPHP can easily edit HTML and CSS for you, it is very easy to get RapidPHP talking to Xampp. There are a couple of tutorials and guides floating around already - I'll try and find the URLs for you, but a forum search should find them.

Finally, upgrading Xampp is simply a matter of downloading the latest version. Away you go.
One thing to bear in mind, is that you really need an Xampp install that matches the setup (ie, versions) you're finally going to be using. Its pointless downloading and using Xampp with php5 if you're going to host Wordpress on a server thats using php4.
But you knew that already... ;)
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby MaxD » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi Chris, thanks for the info. Appreciate that I don't need to alter WordPress much, just the html and css, which I have done before. I'm happy to modify my template a bit. I was wondering if Rapid php allowed a 'preview' feature, while you edit the code?
When you upgrade xammp, how about the site files you have? These aren't affected by an upgrade?
When moving a site to a hosting (assuming the php is OK) what else should I check for?
MaxD

Postby chrisjlocke » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:19 pm

I don't know about what RapidPHP can and can't do. I use WeBuilder (which is meant to be Jack of All Trades) but each application has overlap with another, and all share the same common 'engine'.

To upgrade Xampp, simply rename the xampp directory, install the new version, then move across the htdocs (ie, the web root) folder from the old install to the new. Then delete the old. Everything should work fine. :)

Apart from the php, there isn't much else to check.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby MaxD » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:19 pm

WeBuilder sounds like the right program. Will have to have a go.
MaxD

Postby MaxD » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:11 pm

Found this useful looking guide to installing xammp on a USB key:

http://groups.drupal.org/node/4842
MaxD

Return to Web Developer Talk