Internet Explorer 8 beta

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

Internet Explorer 8 beta

Postby MaxD » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:15 am

Anyone tried this? Apparerently you can download a 'virtual hard drive' from Microsoft to alow you to test this without over-writing your current IE browser.
MaxD

Postby MikeyB » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:22 pm

You can download various virtual PC images with IE6, 7 or 8 on from Microsoft:
http://snipurl.com/24ly8 [www_microsoft_com]

Just downloading the IE8 image (IE8_VPC.EXE) as I type... It's 438MB
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Re: Internet Explorer 8 beta

Postby funkmasterflow » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:53 am

I just installed the IE8 in my own Virtual Machine.
At home I use VM-Ware and at the office I use VirtualBox on the Mac and VM-Ware on a XP Computer.
Both work fine as I could figure out...
Microsoft has done a lot of improvment to the IE8. But it still keeps me at work for some sites ;-)
funkmasterflow

Postby Karlis » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:22 am

IE8 broke menus generated by our Easy Button & Menu Maker and this was because of some very clear bugs in IE8 Beta. IE8 RC seems to have fixed everything.

I do believe that at the end IE8 will be a very nice web browser ;)

Also they promise to run every tab in its own process so that if one of them fails, the browser does not crash - I am hoping that this would improve stability.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby syrupcore » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:05 am

I'm really hoping that large IT departments that are still forcing their users to use IE6 will realize that now that they're two versions behind, it's time to make the jump - and I hope they jump directly to 8. :)

still haven't tried it myself. don't really care until I need to develop for it.
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby MikeyB » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:40 am

syrupcore wrote:I'm really hoping that large IT departments that are still forcing their users to use IE6 will realize that now that they're two versions behind, it's time to make the jump - and I hope they jump directly to 8. :)

We're still stuck on IE6 here, not heard any news about upgrading as yet (not up to me!) but then I do know we do have at least one system that does not work with IE7 so we are stuck till the suppliers update their system.

Who knows what new challenges IE8 will bring to corporates?

Luckily as I work in the IT department & do some web development I'm also allowed to have Firefox :D
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby Karlis » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:24 pm

As I said IE8 is compatible with IE7 because using a meta tag or clicking an easy button engages the old IE7 rendering engine. So migrating from 7 to 8 should be a breeze. Not so much with IE6.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby MaxD » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:54 pm

I'm having a slightly odd problem with IE8 RC1 (Ithink that's its correct title) :? Downloaded the latest version of Adobe acrobat reader, and associated software, flash etc. Installed OK then I get a message which says 'your files are fragmented, uninstall Adobe and defrag then re-install (presumably) :wink: as per our release notes'. So I do all this, but now Flash fails to work in IE8, though it does in Firefox. It does in my admin account for IE8 and Firefox, but not my browsing account.
Amateur web design now dabbling with php and jquery
MaxD

Postby chrisjlocke » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:52 pm

Why on earth does it matter if a file is fragmented or not? I hate Adobe, and with great software like Foxit PDF Reader available for free, I hope people stop using Adobe stuff.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby syrupcore » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:40 am

chrisjlocke wrote: I hate Adobe, and with great software like Foxit PDF Reader available for free, I hope people stop using Adobe stuff.

agreed. They are the most invasive software makers (though apple likes to take over PCs too). flash player and that's it. Well, I use photoshop at work. I've been trying to get down with the GiMP at home. still a little murky compared to photoshop's long since streamlined workflows but it gets it done.

ok ok, dreamweaver has one killer feature (AND ONLY ONE!): you can copy a section of an excel spreadsheet and paste it into "design view" and when you switch to code view it makes incredibly clean table code. For converting a big data table, it is a dream. I get a coworker to do it for me when faced with one so I can keep my system as adobe free as possible. :)
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby chrisjlocke » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:54 am

Rather than try IE8 in a whole virtual machine, you can use a virtual application. I've started to use these more and more, and they are very useful.

Try IE8, 7 or even 6 in a virtual application:
http://www.xenocode.com/Browsers/

This allows browsers to live side by side, without installing anything. Simply brilliant.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby MaxD » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:34 pm

chrisjlocke wrote:Why on earth does it matter if a file is fragmented or not? I hate Adobe, and with great software like Foxit PDF Reader available for free, I hope people stop using Adobe stuff.

Deleted Adobe, as I have a pdf editor installed anyway. Defragmented properly now so have the reinstall option if required. Upgraded the 40gb hard disk on my 5.5 year old laptop to a much more pleasant 160gb. Its like a new machine again :)

Have also been looking at ipaper. This great if you want to add lots of files, without the file sizes or load on your sites.
Amateur web design now dabbling with php and jquery
MaxD

Postby syrupcore » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:57 am

chrisjlocke wrote:Rather than try IE8 in a whole virtual machine, you can use a virtual application. I've started to use these more and more, and they are very useful.

Try IE8, 7 or even 6 in a virtual application:
http://www.xenocode.com/Browsers/

This allows browsers to live side by side, without installing anything. Simply brilliant.

That's fantastic. I actually run stand alone versions of most browsers (via portableapps.com) but it has limitations when it comes to the IE family. Looking forward to trying these out.
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Return to Web Developer Talk