Page in Chinese

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

Page in Chinese

Postby notuo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:51 pm

Hi all.

I hope you can help me.

A friend of mine asked me to build a web page (already in Spanish) but the translation to Chinese. I have no clue about this.

Any advise is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

EDIT>>

I found this page http://www.herongyang.com/PHP-Chinese/ and started to test...
Here is an image Image in RapidPHP The editor screen looks fine but the preview isn't. I also uploaded this test to a web server and the result is the same "???" instead of the Chinese characters.
notuo

Postby Cary » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:37 am

What happens when you use complete html with head tags and doctype?

What font are you using? Use CSS to tell the browser what to use and see how that works.
Cary

Postby notuo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:23 pm

Cary, thanks for your help.

I did that and the result is the same. (the doctype et al stuff).

Regarding the font. I read just the opposite, not to define any font and let the browser choose the one they have at hand.

I did another test. As I mentioned, Just copy pasted the source from this page http://www.herongyang.com/PHP-Chinese/charset-UTF-8-Chinese-HTML-Documents.html

One time in Rapid and the other in Kompozer (NVU follouw up). The result in Kompozer is this editor changes the Chinese characters into the numerlas equivalents, for example:

Code: Select all
Simplified characters: 简体中文网页<br>

& # 31616;& # 20307;& # 20013;& # 25991;& # 32593;& # 39029;

and in rapid the file is saved just with the ??? instead the Chinese characters.

Any idea?

Thanks again,
notuo

Postby Cary » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:35 am

notuo wrote:Regarding the font. I read just the opposite, not to define any font and let the browser choose the one they have at hand.

Sorry, your're right. However, can you tell me what font you're using for Rapid's editor display? Your picture shows the correct characters, but I only get squares when viewing the code in WeBuilder.

notuo wrote:I did another test. As I mentioned, Just copy pasted the source from this page...One time in Rapid and the other in Kompozer (NVU follow up). The result in Kompozer is this editor changes the Chinese characters into the numerlas equivalents...

This worked fine for me in Kompozer. In Options, under Advanced, check your Special Character settings. Use the first one on the list and make sure the Character set under New Page Settings is set to UTF-8.

notuo wrote:...and in rapid the file is saved just with the ??? instead the Chinese characters.

Are you sure you have the encoding set to UTF-8? This sounds like ANSI. In Preferences click on Files. Make sure Default Encoding is set to "UTF-8 without BOM".
Cary

Postby notuo » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:52 am

Thank you cary.

Are you sure you have the encoding set to UTF-8? This sounds like ANSI. In Preferences click on Files. Make sure Default Encoding is set to "UTF-8 without BOM".

This is actually the missing piece I was looking for.

Regards
notuo

Return to Web Developer Talk