Firebug delays?

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

Firebug delays?

Postby chrisjlocke » Fri May 30, 2008 2:19 pm

Like several people here, I use Firebug with Firefox v2, but was wondering if people have experienced delays in Firefox while Firebug has been enabled.
I don't mean enabled for a particular site, but just 'available'.

When enabled, if I've several tabs open and click a new tab, it can take 3 or 4 seconds for the tab to appear. My CPU usage goes to 100% (Firefox) and makes it unresponsive (ie, you can't click on another tab while you wait)

I've not got many other add-ons, and disabling Firebug cures this delay. Its a pain though wanting Firebug and having to restart Firefox just to enable the addon.

Just curious as to whether this 'bug' has affected anyone else?
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Re: Firebug delays?

Postby notuo » Fri May 30, 2008 11:02 pm

chrisjlocke

At least gmail complain officially with firebug and encouraged people (at some point) to disable firebug with gmail. I did so myself. Maybe is because the heavy code gmail is putting in the browser. Chances something like that is happening to you as well.

Cheers
notuo

Postby Cary » Sat May 31, 2008 5:07 am

That's odd. So simply disabling Firebug from its menu and enabling it as needed doesn't make a difference? You have to actually deactivate the extension to solve the pausing problem?
Cary

Postby chrisjlocke » Sat May 31, 2008 10:20 am

Cary- yes. Although disabled for only the sites I want, the green tick appears (ie, as if saying its enabled) there is a delay, then it goes. Task Manager shows Firefox is rattling its nuts off. Sometimes opening a bookmark in a new tab works a dream, sometimes it doesn't. Opening a new tab 91% of the time causes this delay.

See comment #28
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:Iz ... uk&strip=1
(and #29)

See also:
http://rocketmonkeys.com/post.294

So its not a hugely reported issue, so must be a clash of certain add-ons. I thought as the Firebug community was strong here, there may be someone else its happened to.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby MikeyB » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:19 am

Hi,

I have Firebug permanently enabled, and quite a few other add-ons, and never noticed any problems like you described.

It could be a clash with another add-on I guess, would be a case of trying Firebug with each other add-on in turn.

Odd :?:
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby syrupcore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:54 am

I feel the firebug pain with certain ajax intensive sites. Sometimes too, firebug just seems to get crufted up. usually just disabling and reenabling via the status bar green tick sets it straight though - I never have to do it at the extension level. I too would look to other extensions. they might be fine on their own but perhaps less so when firebug is trying to rule the school.
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby MikeyB » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:41 pm

OKay, I've now experienced the delays like you.

Been doing a lot of development with Google Maps today, and after a while of changing code & refreshing, Firefox would get real slow between refreshes.

I kept closing Firefox & starting again, and it would be okay for a while.

Then I remembered your thread on here, and particularly where you mention Ajax sites.
I've now disabled Firebug and it's now fine, so it does get bogged down after a while, hmmmm.
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby chrisjlocke » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:46 pm

Do you also have GreaseMonkey installed as an add-on?
Are you on FF3 yet?

Thanks for thinking of this thread and posting back! :)
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby MikeyB » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:24 am

Hi,

Nope, don't have GreaseMonkey installed.

I have FF2 here at work, and FF3 at home, and Firebug causes big slow-downs on Google Maps in both versions, even more so with MS Live Maps.

Also noticed at home, when logging onto Google Mail with Firebug enabled that there is a warning that it could slow it down.
I think it says it's to do with all the AJAX calls that go on, can't check here at work, that kind of stuff is blocked!

Mike
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby syrupcore » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:06 am

did you ever resolve this chris?
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby chrisjlocke » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:29 pm

I need to install Firefox 3 at work, but on my home machine, FF3 has certainly helped. I haven't experienced the same delays as MikeyB, but use Google Maps and GMail more at work than at home, so this will test it further.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Return to Web Developer Talk