New Blumentals.net design

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

New Blumentals.net design

Postby Karlis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:24 pm

I put the code editors away for a month and did a website re-make. Now it is table-free and uses CSS layouts and most of the pages are either valid or show very few errors which are related to the content of separate pages (not the design). It was difficult to get it working on IE + FF + old IEs. What is more, we are not 860px wide, and everything is bigger - easier to click on.

This was a nasty task... It seems that all browsers are lagging in some way and all of them needs workarounds. I'm sick of those tricks required to get similar layout on various browsers and browser versions. FF is not better than IE and vice versa or so it seems.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Re: New Blumentals.net design

Postby notuo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:39 am

Karlis, hi.

First congrats for the effort

The one I am looking at is 860 and does has tables. Maybe is not online yet.

But this is not the issue. Of course the different browsers are a pain... and to have things look "the same" is an awful task. So, welcome to the gang.

Let's see the new look.

Regards,

EDIT>> Also I found the left menu doesn't work. The same links are always in http://www.blumentals.net/products/index.php
notuo

Postby Karlis » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:32 pm

There is one single table (id=structure) indeed :o, but it was absolutely necessary there. Same approach is used by one of the world's most famous web design studios so I think this is cool enough. The previous layout was based entirely on tables, it had like 10 or 15 of them.

I still do not understand what was so dramatically wrong with tables, but CSS is cool too as you can see ;)
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby notuo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:48 pm

Actually I was not complaining at all. Just that I saw the width and the table, so I figure I am looking another site. (been in blumentals.net a long ago)

As I said. Way to go...

But, did you check the issue with the left menu as I mentioned. That is really important.

Regards
notuo

Postby Karlis » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:58 pm

It is working, it is simply that that part is not finished. It is already that way for 4 years.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby syrupcore » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:00 pm

there's two on the homepage! ;)

If you're interested, you can make the menus maybe easier to deal with and more search engine friendly with a combination of "suckerfish" drop downs and a little bit of image replacement.

It looks really sweet Karlis.
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby Elygen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:14 am

OOOOOOOOOOOOO SuckerFish!!!!!

anything using jquery makes it better!

By the way thanks for the products. Been using webuilder for 3 or 4 versions now. and it's the best program I've used.

Screw the site, keep making webuilder better. I'll work on your site for.
Elygen

Return to Web Developer Talk