Chrome browser

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

Chrome browser

Postby MaxD » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:29 pm

Another new browser on the block, this time from Google. Apparently a new version of IE8 is due, which will make it difficult to determine a users browsing habits, due to 'cloaking technology' :wink: So what is the answer to this? Google has launched its own beta version browser for you to try http://www.google.com/chrome
Amateur web design now dabbling with php and jquery
MaxD

Re: Chrome browser

Postby MikeyB » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:52 am

I downloaded Google Chrome the other day.

It's kinda "odd" looking, very bare, no menu, no toolbar, very few options.

But it's very very quick compared to IE6, IE7, FF2 & FF3 on the PCs I've tried it on.
Not had much time to play with it, but not really come across any problems with any websites.

Read the Google Chrome comic! http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby MaxD » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:30 pm

I'm finding the new version of FF really slow, though not sure why. Click a new tab and make a cup of coffee kind of slow. I used to use it in preference of IE because of its speed. Perhaps Google has seen problems and are aiming for a share of the FF 25%
MaxD

Postby syrupcore » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:46 pm

One nice thing is that it uses the Webkit engine - the same rendering engine used by Apple's Safari. Since google is very developer friendly, I'm hoping we'll start to see great developer tools for Chrome/webkit like firebug and the web developer toolbar. Cause, man, debugging Safari bugs sucks!

fwiw, FF3 is very very fast for me. Usually it's a plugin that's causing the problems. Chrome's seperate-process-per-tab is an interesting model.
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby chrisjlocke » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:02 am

Interestingly, Chrome seems to use a new process for each 'tab', which can be in the region of 10MB to 40MB each! It uses an awful lot more memory than FF3 on my system (XP). Its fast, but that seems to be because it doesn't display stuff as it goes along like FF3 does.

Edit: Oops, didn't spot your 'process per tab' comment before!
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby MaxD » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:50 pm

syrupcore wrote:... I'm hoping we'll start to see great developer tools for Chrome/webkit like firebug and the web developer toolbar. Cause, man, debugging Safari bugs sucks!

fwiw, FF3 is very very fast for me. Usually it's a plugin that's causing the problems. Chrome's seperate-process-per-tab is an interesting model.

Debugging Safari? reminds me of the time I was 'learning to just press buttons' and I thought a guy mentioned having problems installing a forum. Turned out he had problems writing his own :)

Re Firefox, think I've fixed it. You mentioned 'process per tab' and I found that clicking a tab then going back to the original tab made the next tab load much faster. I then deleted two add ons and it works much better, just using it normally. Thanks
MaxD

Postby daredare » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:21 pm

i found chrome odd too, it doesnt look like a practical tool .didnt like it. i am still on FF2, i found safari very cool browser (pc)
there is also a develop menu in the safari menu wich can be enable.very nice tool
Last edited by daredare on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
webuilder 2010 version 10.02 (10.0.2.118) is the best !!
daredare

Postby daredare » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:25 pm

MaxD wrote:I'm finding the new version of FF really slow, though not sure why. Click a new tab and make a cup of coffee kind of slow.

omg this is horrible, i have herad many people comenting on the slowiness of FF3, and also things like : " fireftp use to be so cool on FF2 , i shouldnt have upgraded". i dont see the point in adding all that user interface stuff(images, glossy stuff) etc...the actual interface is really ok and not distracting.
webuilder 2010 version 10.02 (10.0.2.118) is the best !!
daredare

Return to Web Developer Talk