Offtopic: Tell us about yourself!

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

Offtopic: Tell us about yourself!

Postby Karlis » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:19 am

So, just out of curiosity I am starting this thread. I feel that we have quite a few nice and friendly people here in this community. It would be great if we could introduce ourselves to each other.

Minimum requirements - name, age, location, intended occupation, actual occupation, what you like, any interesting projects, goals, achievements etc.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Re: Offtopic: Tell us about yourself!

Postby Karlis » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:49 am

My name is Karlis, I am 27, I live in Riga, Latvia (Eastern Europe), I have a degree in computer sciences, so my occupation matches the education which is actually rare in our country (in fact, first I started programming and then decided to learn IT).

I like computers and technology. Most of my time goes to developing and maintaining our software projects. I am happy and grateful for an opportunity to run this small business and serve the fine people of this community. I would be happy to expand but have no idea how to do it as keeping the personal touch with our users takes a lot of time and it is one thing I would not want to let go. I hope to continue delivering software that will help people to do their job better and faster, just need to figure out how to keep myself healthy and avoid switching to stronger glasses every year - sitting at the computer a lot does its damage (is it just me?); I actually started to build a home out of town, I hope that fresh air and nearby forest and sea will help :)

Apart from that ... I like traveling (not that I get to do it much), skiing, playing volleyball. I am an auto enthusiast (petrolhead as they say in the UK), I love TopGear and stuff like that. I am quite interested in civil aviation too (again it is not that I have much to do with it).

I like to think that I can get along with both computer-geeks and regular people. I think i am a half-geek :lol:

So that is about it. Now your turn.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby MaxD » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:42 pm

I'm a bit older than you karlis :shock: and first started with computers pre Windows in the days when if you turned on a computer, you just got a blank screen and a cursor. If I wanted to get it to do anything I had to write it from scratch in BASIC I'm into keep fit though, swimming, cycling and running. Travelling is fun and I plan to travel to Iceland later in the year. I work in retail so nothing at all to do with computers, though I do have four websites :?
Amateur web design now dabbling with php and jquery
MaxD

Postby CaliforniaJerry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:56 am

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jerry Leventer and I live in Mountain View, California. My first stint at the university, I studied philosophy, psychology, and anthropology. Later, I took some business classes and realized that I was good at math, so after working for a couple years, I went back to school and got my degree in electrical engineering, which allowed me to get a job programming microcontrollers in assembly language. I took some more C programming classes and UNIX administration and was able to get some jobs in programming, software test, tech support, porting, and build engineering. I am now self-taught in Wordpress and CSS.

I put up my first website in 2004 and sold some items on eBay. I've been around the internet marketing world since 2005. A friend of mine recommended Rapid CSS, so I'm interested in using WeBuilder as my project development tool for developing Wordpress sites, themes, and perhpas plugins, too.

I am also a private math & writing tutor for teens & adults, which I started after becoming a substitute teacher about six years ago.

I'm glad to be a part of the community, and I look forward to meeting others of you here. And about your eyes, Karlis, I sit back away from my computer about 2-1/2 to 3 feet. I use a keyboard tray, and an ergonomic keyboard (GoldTouch).
CaliforniaJerry

Postby Karlis » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:18 am

MaxD wrote:first started with computers pre Windows in the days when if you turned on a computer, you just got a blank screen and a cursor.

I sill got some of the taste :) I had to learn DOS commands even without having access to a PC, back in the 6th grade at school. Yes, later we had Windows, but I still remember the day when I left the bookstore with a book called "The first steps in Turbo Pascal" or something like that. So, yes, I did get the taste at least.

Just to have a laugh - this is what most Linux/Unix admins still use - black screen and a cursor.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Karlis » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am

CaliforniaJerry wrote:studied philosophy, psychology, and anthropology. Later, I took some business classes and realized that I was good at math, so after working for a couple years, I went back to school and got my degree in electrical engineering, which allowed me to get a job programming microcontrollers in assembly language.

Amazing. Is there anything you did not study? I imagine suddenly discovering that I am good at psychology or philosophy :mrgreen: It is like a 180 degree turn.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Web Developer Talk