PHP Framework

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

PHP Framework

Postby notuo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:08 pm

Hi.
I heard about php frameworks (cakephp, codeigniter, etc.)

Are you using any of those?
What is your experience?
Do you reccomend some?

Thanks in advance
notuo

Re: PHP Framework

Postby MervynB » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:06 pm

notuo wrote:Hi.
I heard about php frameworks (cakephp, codeigniter, etc.)

Are you using any of those?
What is your experience?
Do you recommend some?

Thanks in advance

Hey ,
Ye I haven't used any of these as of yet but i would like to know what is recommended as the best to use?
Like above Thanks in advance :P
Mervyn.
MervynB

Postby syrupcore » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:18 pm

cakephp is really wonderful. docs are a lot better than they were in the past but there are still a lot of assumptions in there (assuming you know a, b, c, they explain how to do D). do the 'create a blog' tutorial in the cookbook and you'll be amazed.

I've not had a chance to really dig into code ignitor yet but I'm looking forward to it. Seems incredibly thoughtful.
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby notuo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:22 pm

Thank you syrupcore.
notuo

Postby Elygen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:30 pm

I realize that this was posted a long time ago but i recently started using cakephp and it is fan'frickin'tastic
Elygen

Postby chrisjlocke » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:02 pm

Just a bump too, as I recently saw Code Ignitor mentioned in PC Pro, so thought I'd take a look. Took me a while to get my head around the 'Modules', 'Views' and 'Controllers' way of programming, as I've got so used to the event driven method of programming in Visual Basic.

The framework is pretty useful, with file uploads, login, database stuff, etc. The tutorials are also pretty thorough, with many blogs waffling on how good it is. The slight muddying of the waters is the different flavours of PHP floating around. Some sites show examples in one version, while others don't mention the version at all. My PHP is still a bit rusty to work out why code isn't working properly.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby notuo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks chrisjlocke
notuo

Postby annyphp » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:39 am

PHP Framework is built for PHP developers who need elegant toolkit to create full-featured web applications. It aims to speed up the creation and maintenance, and also to replace the repetitive coding tasks by power, control and pleasure.
Top PHP Framework:

1 Yii ā€“ Yii Framework: Best for Web 2.0 Development

2 CodeIgniter - CodeIgniter: an open source Web Application Framework that helps you write PHP programs.

3 Zend - A bottom-up rewrite of the PHP scripting engine. It features a modular architecture, vastly improved performance, and greater scalability.

4 CakePHP - Official website. Offers a manual for beginners and links towards the last version.

5 Symfony - Easy to use framework to build robust web applications for enterprises.

6 PHPDevShell - PHPDevShell focuses on you getting the job done, providing a highly organized environment and structure.

7 Prado - PRADO is an event-driven and component-based framework for Web application development in PHP 5.

8 Akelos - Port of Ruby on Rails development framework and designed to work for PHP4 and PHP5.

9 QPHP - QPHP is an event-driven(EDP), component-based web framework similar as architecture to ASP.NET.

10 ZooP - An Object Oriented Framework for PHP, Zoop Framework caters to the programmer and includes ajax and validation.
annyphp

Postby mikecocklin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi All,

Well for me it is CodeIgniter. I started using it in middle of last year and have now finished 2 major projects with it. It is very simple to learn and the documentation is very easy to follow.

Also the support base has been fantastic so far.

The MVC pattern took me a little whie to get comfortable with, but now I actually can't think of doing a project any other way. Though it is important to understand your needs before you start, as not every project will require this method or even a framework. But for the projects that do, I really enjoy using this framework.

Anyway, that's my ten penneths worth, though I am sure there are many other great frameworks out there.

Mike
mikecocklin

Postby laceja » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:08 pm

I was new to PHP as of about a year ago... didn't yet know what I didn't know. Not that I've become an expert, but I've been programming with more than 20 languages for the past 30 years. I invested a lot of effort into evaluating several frameworks, the name of most of them I've forgotten. But, I do remember trying CakePHP, CodeIgniter, Zend Framework, QCodo, and QCubed.

I found most of them to be very powerful, but none were perfect. However, I stumbled upon QCubed, which is a branch of QCodo. At first, it seemed like QCubed was just QCodo with a different logo. However, as I used it more and participated in their forums, I began to realize it was in the process of evolving to be much different from QCodo. I was actually writing part of the new system I needed in the various frameworks and I discovered I was so comfortable with QCubed, I just kept right on developing. Anyway, since I began using it last October, the framework has evolved to a completely new release. About the only thing it has in common with QCodo now is the API. Everything underneath has been rewritten and upgraded. For example, all javascript functions now us jQuery and yet you can still use other javascript frameworks, without breaking anything.

Beyond the intuitive nature of QCubed and its included DOM (no need to install a separate one, although you can), QCubed not only makes development rapid, but the end result has incredibly good performance. Also, it doesn't hurt that there is a dedicated and growing user community and some of the most savvy core contributors on the planet. I remember, what may have been dumb questions on the forums of other frameworks, I usually got some flippant response that let me know my lack of experience was not very much appreciated. The folks on the QCubed forums seem to be the antithesis to the others. Really nice and helpful folks... everyone participates, not just the core developers.

So, if you find yourself looking for a good framework, I suggest you at least give QCubed a look.
laceja

Return to Web Developer Talk