blog

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

blog

Postby mapleleaf » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:51 am

I don't believe that this new topic is off-topic as it does relates to web development.

Perhaps not directly related to WB but WB can or may be used in its creation (i think).

I am going into virgin waters here and I am sure that there are those of you that have far more experience in setting up a blog than I.

1. is a blog needed or necessary for a web site?
2. I am at 50% in going for/not in having a blog but selected a fitting theme for a blog in case I do for it. a word press theme I cam across
anyone with experience in setting up a blog, I would appreciate your help
3. there is the question of a forum such as this one but then isn't a forum similar in nature to that of a blog but far more specific and detailed?
4. is there something that is the best of both worlds namely the blog and a forum?
5. is by doing so opening Pandora's box?

mapleleaf

http://www.mirana.net
mapleleaf

Re: blog

Postby MikeyB » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 am

Hi,

I've not had any experience of using blogs on my sites, but I can tell you a blog is not needed or necessary for a website, depending on your skills it could be the way forward tho.

In the past I've tended to use a combination of static and database driven pages, but at the moment am considering using a blog for one of my sites, if I get time.

Mikey
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby Aivars » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:34 pm

The main difference between blog and forum is that in case of blog a single poster posts and community comments, and in case of forum everyone is equal and everyone can post and comment. Also blogs are time-aligned (posts are ordered by age) but forums are activity-aligned (recently active topics are displayed on top).

Which one you use depends on your intended purpose. If you want to deliver company news, reviews, opinions etc, basically, journalism - use blogs. If you want to develop active community (game discussions, development, local city events etc, basically, a place where everyone chats), then use forums.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby mapleleaf » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:56 pm

@MickeyB

Neither have I and that is why I had made the post here and as I said for me it is "virgin territory" or "Pandora's Box".

@Aivars

Thanks for mentioning the differences between them(very useful). The jury is still out on which to use or making a hybrid - this is going to take a bit of time planning etc.
mapleleaf

Postby MikeyB » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:43 am

Nice explanation of the differences Aivars, I couldn't think of a way to put it, but I think you've summed it up good.
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby MikeyB » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Well I've taken the plunge, and have redone one of my websites using Wordpress, was previously using a mixture of static HTML pages, perl & MySQL, all coded by myself and was a lot of bits & pieces.

I installed Wordpress myself on my web hosting, and it was easy to install and setup, what took the longest was finding a theme I wanted, and found one at the last minute.

My hosting does have an automatic install of Wordpress (and lots more) using Fantastico, but I read about it makes updates dificult if you have plugins etc.

Wordpress is easy to use, and has lots of options & plugins if you need.

Anyway, here it is http://www.totalhumour.com
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby mapleleaf » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:35 pm

Congrats, Mike

I love the theme.

Is it possible to submit jokes?

mapleleaf

ps. I've started on my blog. pm me if you're interested in seeing what I've done so far
mapleleaf

Postby MikeyB » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:55 am

mapleleaf wrote:Congrats, Mike

I love the theme.

Thanks, I think it was worth changing it to Wordpress, it's so much quicker & easier for me to update.
It also tweets new posts automatically, and changes the theme for mobile devices using plugins.

mapleleaf wrote:Is it possible to submit jokes?

Funny you ask that as it is the next thing I'm going to add in.

mapleleaf wrote:mapleleaf

ps. I've started on my blog. pm me if you're interested in seeing what I've done so far

Yeah I'd like to see it, PM sent
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Return to Web Developer Talk