html5 & JavaScript

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

html5 & JavaScript

Postby mapleleaf » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:00 am

By default, html5 doesnt require the language or text attribute when JavaScript is declared.

(ie)
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
/*<![CDATA[*/

/*]]>*/
</script>

In html5

<script>
/*<![CDATA[*/

/*]]>*/
</script>

I bring this up, as I used the WB to insert JavaScript as seen above. Although correct and it will work, will the new version of WB have the html5 option?

Any idea, when the new version will be released? Doing html5 using WB2010 is at times very troublesome when troubleshooting and optimizing code.

mapleleaf
mapleleaf

Re: html5 & JavaScript

Postby Gatis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:03 am

Hi mapleleaf,

Thanks for bringing this up. I think we have missed this issue. Currently some internals depend on the fact that a JavaScript block starts with
So if there will be only <script> instead, some functionality for JavaScript might not work well.
We will take a closer look.

As for the new version...
This week I will have a project meeting with Karlis, after his vacation. And then the picture will be more clear.

Kind regards,

Gatis
Kind regards,
Gatis Avots
Gatis
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby mapleleaf » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:11 pm

HI Gatis

Thanks for bringing this up. I think we have missed this issue. Currently some internals depend on the fact that a JavaScript block starts with
So if there will be only <script> instead, some functionality for JavaScript might not work well.
We will take a closer look.

You're quite welcome.
I agree that some internals will/may need it particularly if you are doing html or xhtml BUT disagree with you when it pertains to html5.

Therefore, since you are/will be supporting html5 (WB next release) then it is logical I believe in having an option for the html5 in inserting JavaScript is needed, IMHO.

I am eagerly awaiting, the new release. Trust me, it is and has been problematic writing my web site in html5 using WB 2010 particularly when troubleshooting then only to find out that a missing closing section or article element was the cause.

Blumental may even consider in their next release to have an external link to validate the code particularly when it concerns html5 ie. similar to the manner of the use of Tidy.

mapleleaf

Postby Gatis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:24 am

Blumental may even consider in their next release to have an external link to validate the code particularly when it concerns html5 ie. similar to the manner of the use of Tidy.
Hmm.. I wonder if the http://validator.w3.org/ service which is used already in WeBuilder won't fit? Just checked it, and it seems to validate HTML5 just fine (although, as it is stated on their site, this is only "Using experimental feature: HTML5 Conformance Checker.")

Gatis
Kind regards,
Gatis Avots
Gatis
Blumentals Software Developer

Return to Web Developer Talk