Submenus within a frame

Post your questions and problem reports here.

Submenus within a frame

Postby Dr Paul A Daniels » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:40 am

I've just constructed a vertical button-set with submenus to go into a menu frame on the left-hand side of the screen (a common, almost traditional, place for a menu). Unfortunately, when the submenus open they are constrained to the menu frame, cover the other buttons and wrap around. Some of the submenu items are designed to get bolder as the mouse hovers over them and, because the submenus are constrained within the menu frame and bolder text is longer, this action causes the wrap-around to change the position and layout of the submenus.

The submenus should open 'above' all frames.

I'm using IE7 and haven't yet tried this with Firefox but another poster's experience with FF suggests this may be an IE failure.
Dr Paul A Daniels
Director, Qsoft Limited
Dr Paul A Daniels

Postby Karlis » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:03 am

You should not put menu inside frames (if you mean HTML <frame>), in fact <frames> are deprecated and future browsers most likely won't support them at all.

If you meant something else, please drop a link to the website, so that we can take a look. Thanks!
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Re: Submenus within a frame

Postby Fud » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:07 am

If frames should not be used, how do I place a horizontal menu at the top of each page of my website so that visitors can easily navigate? I don't want to manually include the menu bar on every single page because I have several tabs and about a dozen sub-tabs per tab. That's close to a hundred pages. I don't want to have to change a hundred menus on a hundred pages every time I change the menu. With frames I could change it in only one spot. Is there so other way to do this? Please advise (oh, and please keep it simple). Thanks.
Fud

Postby Fud » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:54 am

I'm trying to use the software to create a menu system as found on this page ... http://www.milonic.com/frames/ ... is that possible? If not, then how do I have a menu at the top without having to recode it on each page? Any help on this would be appreciated.
Fud

Postby Karlis » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:45 pm

Our menus can not be run from a frame and overlap onto another frame. There is no direct workaround.

Possible solution in your case would be to use some server side scripting language and includes - this is how the problem is usually solved.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Fud » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:36 am

"server side scripting language and includes"? :?: Do you have an example of something like that or can you point me to an example of it? The only way that I ever did it was with frames and I'm trying to avoid having to change a menu on dozens of pages if just one change is made.
Fud

Postby Karlis » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Now, I understand you completely. If you have a website with zillion of separate pages that do not use common system or template engine, it may and is pain to do things such as menu update. Not sure that my advice will help as it involves changing all of the pages anyways, it would just ensure easier meintenance in the future.

E.g. if you can use PHP language (as opposed to simle HTML), you can save the part of code responsible for menu in a file say menu.php and in all of your other files use code like <? include("menu.php"); ?> which will automatically be replaced whith whatever is in menu.php. Usually developers define common parts - header, footer etc. in separate files so if they decide to change page header or footer it is enough to change one file. I am not sure that this info would be any good to you if you do not want to learn or use PHP scripting, but it is how this is done in huge websites.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Easy Button & Menu Maker Support