Saving menu to folders

Post your questions and problem reports here.

Saving menu to folders

Postby MaxD » Sat May 09, 2009 8:49 am

Currently I'm testing a demo version of EBMM and am having a slight problem. I've a php index page and want to use the'php include' method to add the created menu. I've done this and it worked, when all the files were relative to the index page and within the 'mysite folder'. When I tried to create a 'menu folder' and use the include method, it created problems. I've changed all the file addresses I could see to "menu/####" which partially cured the problem, but the rollovers don't work. I've also experimented with several export options, saving or creating folders which also seem to fail. As I'm using this on localhost I just want to make it work and export the finished site to my server.

What options do I select to enable this and save time?
Amateur web design now dabbling with php and jquery
MaxD

Re: Saving menu to folders

Postby Karlis » Sun May 10, 2009 4:40 pm

You can use absolute paths (e.g. /menus/) so if your domain is www.yoursite.com and menu files are put under www.yoursite.com/menus, it should work.

While using Insert into Web Page wizard, simply enter your absolute path.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby MaxD » Sun May 10, 2009 10:26 pm

Thinking about it, when I tried the various save/export options, the one where I could save the images in a sub-directory relative to the file created, it didn't work. I would have expected it to ask where I wanted the created files saved. It didn't do this and as far as I could see, no files were created. Is this disabled in the demo?

I've tried it again, and opened a previously created version. Deleting the created files from last time and trying to save them again results in an error or no save at all. :?
MaxD

Postby Karlis » Mon May 11, 2009 11:59 pm

:) I simply do not understand why everybody else can get this right and you can not. Probably the problem arises when you try to modify the code or use it in some complex PHP based system. I would recommend at the beginning to create it for a plain HTML page and only then to try to modify the generated code to make it work with your PHP code. 90% of the time the cause of problems lies in the attempts to modify the created menu code so you should be careful with that. It is best to begin with a blank HTML page and then go from there.

Try using Just generate HTML code and necessary files and following the instructions precisely.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby MaxD » Tue May 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Karlis wrote::) I simply do not understand why everybody else can get this right and you can not.

Try using Just generate HTML code and necessary files and following the instructions precisely.

Hi Karlis, well I am trying it :) EBMM is very easy to create menus, that is for sure. Before I was trying all the save options to test them out, and I was getting some errors. I did what you suggested, and aimed to create a test menu and generate the code correctly and I had no problems :? I then tried to recreate the errors I got, and these seem to occur when I try to save the generated code. You might be able to recreate the errors by:

• Create a menu
  • Save it as e.g. menu with subfolder
  • Create another menu
  • Save the files and BAMP file with the same name in the same folder

Errors which occur:
  • Writes to folder without warning of overwrite
  • Will have created two menu.htm files, one of which will not open in a browser
  • The images in the subfolder don't get updated if changed

I appreciate I should edit the BAMP folder and save the generated files, or save a new project with a different name, but If I don't it will produce an error.

Overall I'd say I understand the error I made better and should have no problems now, hopefully. :wink:
MaxD

Postby Karlis » Fri May 22, 2009 9:44 pm

Yes, the no-overwrite prompt is a usability-problem, I'll note that.

You should note, though, that diferent menus should be saved to diferent folders.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Easy Button & Menu Maker Support