Common Menu

Post your questions and problem reports here.

Common Menu

Postby teedee » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:52 pm

My site runs to quite a few pages. it is a blog of our travels. After a trip we upload a set of new pages (anything from 5-20 or more). We already have many trips listed in the menu.

We have a trial version of EBMM and from what I can see the actual HTML code of the menu is loaded onto each page while the images can be centralised in a folder. If I cannot load the menu into a centralised folder also, every update of the site would require updating all existing pages as well as doing the new pages.

Is there an option I have overlooked to separate out the actual menu code?
(I did read the multi-page update where PHP Include is suggested but I dont want to have to start cutting PHP code)
TIA
td
teedee

Re: Common Menu

Postby MikeyB » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi,

Yes, you would need to use something like PHP or server side includes so you can add the menu code to each page.
This would mean if you update your menu, then each page will automatically pick up the change

If you don't want to do that, then the only other way that I'm aware of would to be out the actual EBMM code into each page, but then every time you make a change to your menu you'd have to update every page as well.

Another way would be to use frames, and have your menu in a separate frame.

Mike
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby teedee » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Thanks Mikey
Thought that was the case, but asked in case I had missed something. Pity because I do like the simplicity of EBMM.
Tried Deluxe Menu (Apycom) but it is unreliable & the support patchy. I'll keep looking.
td
teedee

Postby MikeyB » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:56 am

I think you'll find it will be the same with any menu maker program, not just EBMM, as all they can produce will be some HTML, CSS & JavaScript which then has to be included on the pages you want the menu to appear.

With standard HTML you can only include/import CSS & JavaScript, not the actual HTML code for the menu, this has to be imported by other methods as above.

If you don't want to use PHP or other SSI then the only choices you have are frames or copy & paste the code to each page.

But whatever method you choose, initially you will have to put something on every page to include the menu code.
As I said, if you use PHP to include it, then you only have to change your menu code in one place then every page will change.

Mike
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Return to Easy Button & Menu Maker Support